3401 CSM Drive
San Mateo, CA
DescriptionPosting Text General Statement
This is manual labor work at the skilled level, involved in the maintenance of landscape and hardscape including plants, shrubs, trees, water features, grounds, parking lots, athletic fields and facilities using appropriate tools and related equipment for a college district. Under general supervision, public contact is primarily with department staff and campus community, but may include vendors and contractors to exchange instructions and other information regarding regular and special projects, set-ups, and other assignments. The position requires a broad knowledge of gardening, landscaping, and maintenance and repair of hardscape as well as knowledge of the applicable safety procedures, equipment and supplies. A moderate degree of independent judgment and creativity is required to plan the procedures required to complete daily and special projects. A Groundskeeper can direct the work of student assistants and other temporary staff as assigned, and can be assigned to work on call, 24-hours a day, 7-days a week, and on a variety of shifts and locations.Duties and Responsibilities
The duties below are representative of the duties of the classification and are not intended to cover all of the duties performed by the incumbent(s) of any particular position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the scope of work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to this classification.
1. Exchanges information with management and other staff regarding daily and long-range work assignments, special and regular projects, safety procedures, equipment and supplies, use of chemicals, work sites, and other matters
2. Mows, edges, trims, waters and fertilizes lawns, shrubs, plants and trees
3. Plants and cultivates flowers, annuals and trees
4. Cultivates mass plant groups as assigned
5. Prunes trees, weeds planted areas, cleans and maintains fountains
6. Uses common safety techniques, equipment and supplies to assure safe handling of motor and electrical equipment, supplies and chemicals, as well as the use of proper safety equipment and supplies to climb and handle trees and branches
7. Cultivates, prepares and lines athletic fields for play
8. Grooms athletic artificial turf fields, paints and repairs benches, recreation equipment, tables and fences
9. Operates and maintains power driven equipment such as lawn mowers, lawn edgers, clippers, rototillers, tractors, trucks, sweepers, blowers, and other grounds maintenance equipment as assigned
10. Uses hand tools to work soil and to remove weeds, undergrowth and debris from college grounds and landscaped and hardscaped areas
11. Drives a motor vehicle to pick up and deliver equipment, supplies, debris and other items
12. Uses a variety of non-restricted chemicals to exterminate weeds, insects, rodents, aphids and other pests
13. Performs a variety of esthetic measures, such as raking leaves; loading and unloading brush, branches, rubbish and materials; cleaning drains, culverts, stream beds, pathways, sidewalks; sweeping and maintaining parking lots and grounds; and installing, relocating and maintaining site furnishings
14. Programs, monitors,troubleshoots and repairs irrigation systems and water features
15. Assists in campus evacuations, building lockdowns, flood and spill cleanups, and other emergency preparedness and response actions
16. Paints exterior horizontal surfaces, such as parking lot striping and curbs, as well as unoccupied structures, such as storage sheds and /or containers, and similar assignments
17. Inventories grounds and related equipment and supplies and makes recommendations for and/or executes the purchase or repair of equipment, chemicals and supplies
18. Performs other related duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications
This position requires a combination of training and experience equivalent to successful gardening and landscaping experience that has included demonstrated skill in the use of safety procedures, equipment and supplies, including applicable chemicals; operation of common mechanical and electrical equipment related to gardening, landscaping and grounds maintenance; demonstrated skill in following oral and written instructions, and attention to detail.
Possession of a valid California Driver’s License and the ability to safely drive a motor vehicle in the performance of assigned tasks is required.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1.Knowledge of general principles of gardening, landscaping and grounds and hardscape maintenance, including plant identification and basic intercultural gardening techniques, equipment and supplies.
2. Knowledge of safety procedures, equipment and supplies applicable to gardening, landscape, hardscape, and grounds maintenance.
3. Knowledge and skill in installing, maintaining and repairing irrigation systems and controls.
4. Skill in reading, comprehending and following written materials, instructions and directions.
5. Skill in communicating effectively with people who are diverse in their cultures, language groups and abilities.
6. Skill in working effectively as part of a customer service team.
7. Skill in safe operation and handling of mechanical and electrical equipment, tools and supplies, including driving of a motor vehicle.
8. Exercise good judgment in safeguarding and protecting District and public property and the Public.
9. Basic understanding of water chemical balance and treatment.
10.Ability to do moderate to heavy physical labor.Physical Requirements
This position requires work outdoors with exposure to climate changes, chemicals, odors and fumes; bending, stooping, kneeling, climbing ladders and stairs; work on elevated platforms; pushing, pulling, moving moderate to heavy objects; visual comparison; reading and comprehending written and oral instructions and directions; attention to detail; flexibility; adaptability; operating electrical and mechanical equipment; good memory; standing for long periods; walking; interacting with individuals and small groups; and driving a motor vehicle, in order to perform the essential functions.Preferred Qualifications Benefits
Benefits include paid holidays, vacation and sick leave. The District pays all or a portion of monthly medical plan premiums (depending on the coverage) and pays all of the monthly dental and vision plan premiums for employees and eligible dependents. Additional paid benefits include life insurance, salary continuance insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program. Classified employees participate in the Public Employees’ Retirement System, a defined-benefit retirement plan through the State of California. Optional tax-deferred 403(b) and 457 retirement plans are also available.Posting Detail Information Open Date 07/08/2014 First Review Date 07/29/2014 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions Summary
Two Groundskeeper positions are currently available to be filled.Conditions of Employment
Prior to employment, the selected candidate will be required to complete the following:
1. Submit official transcripts (applies to all faculty or educational administrative positions)
2. Submit verifications of prior employment
3. Satisfactory references
4. Successfully being cleared for employment through the background checking process
5. Present original documents for proof of eligibility to work in the United States
6. Approval of your employment by the SMCCCD Board of Trustees
7. Provide a certificate of Tuberculosis exam for initial employment.
8. Have fingerprints taken by a Live Scan computer (Clearance must be received prior to first day of employment). Please note that the California Education Code requires, in part, that community college districts shall not employ or retain in employment persons in public school service who have been convicted of certain felonies, a misdemeanor drug charge (including alcohol offenses) or misdemeanor moral turpitude (sexual offense) crime. However, consideration may be given to those whose drug convictions occurred more than five years ago. A conviction for other crimes may not necessarily disqualify you from the job for which you may be applying.
The San Mateo County Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ individuals who represent the rich diversity of cultures, language groups, and abilities of its surrounding communities.Accomodations
Applicants who have disabilities may request that special accommodations be made in order to complete the selection process. Accommodation request forms and a copy of the Americans with Disabilities Act applicant procedures are available in the Office of Human Resources.