Group Exercise Instructor Part TimeBookmark This
YMCA of Greater Boston
Hours: Non Exempt
The YMCA of Greater Boston is for Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility. Under the supervision of the Healthy Living Director, the individual in this position will be responsible for leading and/or instructing group exercise classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes wellbeing and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, mission and goals.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES/PRINCIPLE ACTIVITIES:
- Leads energizing, fun and safe group exercise classes, as directed by supervisor to meet the needs of the local community, to enhance the member experience and to fulfill YMCA mission and goals
- Builds effective relationships with member and program participants; helps new and existing members get connected with you, each other and with the YMCA organization
- Learns and models YMCA relationship-building skills in all professional interactions, including introducing themselves at the beginning of class, being readily identifiable as a YMCA staff member via uniform or nametag, answering member questions and providing information to members that support wellbeing.
- Possesses ability to connect with and teach all levels of ability (beginner exerciser to advanced) and actively provide modifications to all movements for participants’ safety
- Follows YMCA policies and procedure at all times; responds appropriately to emergencies
- Keeps accurate class attendance records and collects other data/information as directed by supervisor
- Follows YMCA policies, procedures, and responds appropriately to emergency situations
- Attends all mandatory staff YMCA meetings
- Proactively maintains all required certifications
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree or background in Exercise Science, Physical education, Health Promotion, or another health-related field preferred
- Knowledge in areas of anatomy, physiology and basic exercise principles
- At least two years’ experience in instruction and management of a wide variety of strength, conditioning and group exercise programming.
- At least one year of experience teaching group exercise classes preferred
- National certification in group exercise, personal training or strength and conditioning preferred (NASM, ACSM, YMCA)
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys value; demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs; recruits volunteers and builds effective relationships with them; supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions; builds rapport and works well with others; seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations; listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively; takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness:Makes sound judgment, and transfers learning from situation to another; embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience; establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work, and actively participates in meetings; follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately; strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance; demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process; accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths, and limitations and how they impact relationships; has the functional and technical skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Physically and verbally able to interact with members and staff.
- At times, be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Certification in specific exercise category
• CPR and AED current Certification
• 1-3 years’ experience teaching group exercise classes
• ACE or AFAA Group exercise certification is also preferred along with experience teaching other classes
• Must possess excellent customer service
• The ability to teach and instruct and possess current knowledge and the necessary specialized skills
• Must enjoy training, motivating and communicating with people