Inter-generational Visiting InternshipBookmark This
Little Brothers Friends of the Elderly
909 Hyde Street
San Francisco, CA
DescriptionLittle Brothers Friends of the Elderly (LBFE) is a volunteer-based national non-profit organization committed to relieving isolation and loneliness among the elderly by offering, to people of good will, the opportunity to join the elderly in friendship and the celebration of life.
LBFE is seeking a part-time Inter-Generational Visiting Intern who is committed to working directly with 2-4 isolated elders in San Francisco by visiting them once a week in their homes (each visit lasts about an hour). These visits take the place of absent family and friends, creating meaningful relationships that bridge the gap between generations. The intern may assist with small errands, plan activities such as going for a walk, seeing movie, playing cards, baking together and sharing stories, and engage elders in outings, luncheons, and other social opportunities. This is an opportunity to develop a unique friendship with an elder and gain valuable experience in the field of aging.
Responsibilities• Establish meaningful relationships with 2-4 elders.
• Engage elders in outings, luncheons, and other social opportunities.
• May assist with small errands (i.e. light shopping, transportation, etc.)
• Plan creative social opportunities such as going for a walk, seeing movie, playing cards, baking
together and sharing stories.
• Be accountable for your time, work and performance.
• Keep in touch on a weekly basis with your Program Coordinator via e-mail to give them feedback
and ask questions you might have regarding your elders.
Requirements• Love of the elderly and dedication to social justice and humanitarian issues
• Effective communication, able to listen attentively and initiate conversation
• Sensitive and patient to the needs of lonely and isolated elderly
• Able to work independently
• Reliable in completion of all elder commitments
• Spanish and/or Cantonese language a plus (but not required)
• Access to a car is a plus (but not required)