Intern - Cloud Platform Engineering Opportunities at VMwareBookmark This
Palo Alto, CA
Description# About Us
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 500,000 enterprise and mid-market customers to thrive in the Cloud Era by simplifying, automating and transforming the way they build, deliver and consume IT. We empower our customers by radically simplifying IT through virtualization software with a focus on three core missions: End-User Computing (EUC), Hybrid Cloud and Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC). Join our community – instigators of innovation and transformers of technology – as we envision and create what’s next in IT. Get connected to an engine of opportunity fueled by the transformative products and solutions we bring to market, the passion and trust we inspire in our customers, and our collaborative drive to imagine, define and deliver the future of IT. With 13,000+ employees and 50+ locations worldwide, we are passionately driven to make an impact while contributing back to the community. Ranked on the Forbes 100 Most Innovative Companies in the World list. Learn more at vmware.com/careers today!
# Why work for our Division
VMware’s world-class, award-winning RD team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the RD team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. RD team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has RD offices in: Silicon Valley; Burlington, MA; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China.
# Job Description
Intern - Cloud Platform Engineering Opportunities at VMware
As an intern at VMware, you will be challenged to create innovative solutions for our customers by solving complex problems in a team-focused environment. If you are driven to imagine, define and deliver what’s next for the industry and your career while unlocking your full potential, come to VMware. You will have the opportunity to grow in our flexible and dynamic environment, challenge your thinking, and influence the future of technology.
Cloud Platform Engineering: VMware is changing the landscape of computing whether it be - Public/Private clouds, SMB, Enterprise Data Centers or Virtual Desktop Infrastructure. We are seeking Engineers with state of the art, hands on experience working with modern frameworks, programming models, and key web (2.0) technologies. The team is building the enterprise cloud platform as they develop highly scalable Enterprise Web based applications capable of delivering everything “*-as-a Service”.
Cloud Networking and Cloud Security: The Security and Network Solutions team provides the secure networking layer for all of these. We are focused on providing the virtual routing, firewall, VPN, load balancer, DHCP and other L4-L7 services for the virtual infrastructure that people have been used to in the traditional data centers. We are doing this by providing some solutions directly and in other cases partnering with others in our vision to provide "Better than physical security and connectivity". Our solutions protect customer workloads running in a vSphere cloud by providing a seamless, built-in, not bolt on security from top of stack to bottom of stack, powered by both VMware products as well as best of breed partner products
Responsibilities: You may be involved with some or all of the following:
* Be part of an engineering team building VMware’s developer focused Cloud Platform
* Focus on designing, implementing and testing key pieces of the system
* Focus on creating operationally efficient systems and participate in the operations of the service
* Support our partners, customers, and community on support forums, blogs, mailing lists, tweets, etc.
* Present your designs at developer conferences, meet ups, and client meetings
* Stay current on key trends in technology especially in the area of services, languages, and frameworks like: github, Redis, rabbitMQ, NewRelic, Chef, Hadoop, Rails, Sinatra, Spring, Django, node.JS, eventmachine, Scala, Erlang, HTML 5, Cocoa and Objective C, etc.
* Pursuing Bachelor’s, Master’s Degree or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent
* All intern candidates must be enrolled at an accredited four year university with plans to return to school upon completion of an internship opportunity
* Hands on experience building and operating cloud based services at scale
* Experience using Ruby on Rails highly desired
* Experience using Spring, Erlang, Redis, node.JS
* Experience using modern storage and infrastructure services: Hadoop, Redis, mongoDB, CouchDB, rabbitMQ,
* Experience participating in agile development in a software as service environment
* Open source community experience is a plus
* Previous internship experience is a plus
# EEO Statement
VMware is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include: recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, layoff or termination. VMware does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. VMware also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law. Further, it is the policy of VMware to maintain a working environment free of all forms of harassment.
*Posting Title:* Intern - Cloud Platform Engineering Opportunities at VMware
*Advertised Location (Select only ONE location):* Palo Alto, CA, US
*Is this a remote or multiple location position?:* No
*Requisition Number:* 45283BR
*Level of Job (LinkedIn):* Not Applicable
*Advertised Group (Place a checkmark to select multiple groups):* Engineering