Intern - Glass Forming Equipment EngineerBookmark This
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
ResponsibilitiesScope of Position:
Working independently and in cross functional teams, participate in the design, procurement, installation, start up, commissioning and handover of mechanical systems such as
• Batch Delivery systems
• Melter Systems
• Extrusion Systems
• Glass Forming Equipment Systems
Day to Day Responsibilities:
On a daily basis the incumbent in this position will be expected to
• Create or document design basis requirements
• Design mechanical components and assemblies
• Specify or otherwise identify commercially available machine/system components
Types of Project Assignments:
The incumbent will participate in range of designs for the CDT, CET, CSM and CLS divisions. Examples of these may include:
• Greenfield projects
• Modifications and upgrades to existing GMF equipment systems
Travel Requirements: Some travel may be required for this position. The amount depends on the project location and scope.
Role within Group:
The successful incumbent can be expected to fill the following roles during his/her tenure:
• Customer Interface
• Project Manager
• Sales Engineer
• Capable of domestic travel
• Sophomore or Junior in Mechanical or Civil engineering program
• Prior Industrial or Intern experience
• Demonstrated project management experience
• Maturity, common sense and practicality
• Organized and methodical
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to interact and work with others in a team environment across work groups, payrolls and cultures