Montessori InternBookmark This
We are currently looking for a qualified Montessori Intern to join our NAEYC accredited Montessori team. This position is responsible to assist the Lead Teacher and Teachers in an AMI Montessori environment with children ages six weeks through kindergarten. This position is an hourly position and generally works up to a maximum of 25 hours per week covering lunch breaks and floating as necessary to classrooms to maintain ratios. The intern is a support for and is guided by the Lead Teacher and Teacher. Interns will not be left alone with the children.
- Meet with assigned mentor or supervisor weekly.
- Attain state mandated training hours utilizing your own time as necessary and follow all laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Assist in maintaining the room so that it is safe, orderly, clean, appealing, and facilitative of the children's growth, exploration and participation.
- Show respect for the individuality of each child in terms of developmental level, potential, talent and behavior of that child.
- Observe the child and interpret the child's needs.
- Provide an atmosphere of freedom within limits.
- Maintain realistic expectations for each child and allow for human variation.
- Avoid external rewards or motivations in order to foster internal growth.
- Consistent good example of desirable behavior for the children, following the ground rules of the class themselves, and exhibiting a sense of calm, consistency, grace and courtesy, and demonstrating respect for every child.
- Assist in being the peacemaker by modeling courteous behaviors and conflict resolution.
- Do not embarrass a child when dealing with parents or other professionals. Do not talk about the child in front of the child or others.
- Do not use professional relationship with a child for personal gain, or enter into a relationship that may compromise professionalism or the client/customer relationship.
- Do not discriminate against (or for) a child based on race, creed, color, religion or ability.
- Maintain confidential matters in a professional way.
- Flexible with hours to be worked.
- Focus on working as a team with the all teachers in the classroom and center. Show respect for and working closely with and taking directions from colleagues to ensure a positive CA experience.
- Assist in planning organized activities, individual, and group for times the lead teacher is out of the room.
- Take initiative and maintain a positive attitude.
- Uphold the NAEYC Ethics.
- Uphold the AMI Ethics.
- Uphold the Core values of CA and NAEYC.
- Follow and demonstrate understanding of the CA Montessori Children's Center and general company's policies and procedures.
- Attend to children's health, safety, and nutrition.
- Attend to the personal hygiene of each child, including changing diapers or soiled clothing and washing hands.
Key responsibilities in classroom management will include:
- Assist organizing shelves and make sure they neat and dust free.
- Ensure all materials are complete for children, pencils sharpened and paper is readily available.
- Prepare for meals for the following day by obtaining glasses, bowls and plates.
- Assist in cleaning and sanitizing dishware.
- Assist in cleaning tables are meals.
- Assist in preparing the room for nap time.
- Assist in putting away cots after nap time.
- Assist the children in preparing for extra-curricular activities, such as swim, dance and karate.
- Assist the children in preparing for outside play which includes applying sun-screen.
- Assist children in toileting, which may include diaper changing.
- Follow and complete tasks outlined in the daily and weekly checklists to ensure that the environment is prepared for the children.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds (22.5Kg)
- Must be able to run after children.
- Must be able to sit on the floor with the children for long periods of time.
Current student obtaining a bachelors or master's degree in early childhood, special education and or child and family life. Internships are also available to Montessori students (AMI or AMS) who have at minimum an Associate's Degree
Typically requires experience working with young children. Relevant teaching experience.
Skills & Competencies
- Patience, Flexibility, Good Communication and Listening Skills.
- Adaptable in stressful situations.
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual - recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it - then CA Technologies is where you belong. At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you'll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
Our Islandia, NY campus offers several amenities, including:
• Gourmet cafeteria with wide selection of cuisine
• Montessori Child Development Center for children up to the age of six
• Banking services
• Fitness Center (state of the art facility complete with indoor full court basketball, indoor racquetball courts, cardio studio, outside running track, soccer fields, tennis courts)
• Concierge services (dry cleaning, package shipping, stamps and movie rentals)
• On-site chiropractor
To learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity, we welcome you to visit our web site at www.ca.com.
CA Technologies and all of its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. As such, it is our corporate policy to fill positions with qualified candidates regardless of the candidate's race, color, sex, age, religion, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, pregnancy, military status, veteran status or any other protected group status.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: CA Technologies does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any CA Technologies employee. CA Technologies will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered property of CA Technologies and will be processed accordingly.
Date posted: 05/06/2014