Kiva US Zip Intern (68-557)Bookmark This
875 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA
Kiva.org was founded upon the fundamental principle that connecting people through lending can help alleviate poverty. To ensure that it succeeds, the company, along with its user base, provides borrowers with the seed capital needed to generate income, and thereby live a life of sustainability and independence. So far, this approach has enabled Kiva to raise $437 million in loans for 1,051,000+ entrepreneurs in 68 countries, momentum which it looks to continue in the coming years as it positions itself to achieve $1 billion in loans across a variety of sectors by 2015.
Kiva Zip Background:
Kiva Zip is a pilot program aimed at testing ways that Kiva can make its existing model more direct in order to:
- Expand access to capital for borrowers (e.g. by reaching borrowers who are geographically excluded from/do not qualify for microfinance loans)
- Lower the cost of that capital
- Enable borrowers and lenders to connect more directly (e.g. through SMS)
Kiva US Zip Intern Role:
As the Kiva Zip Intern, you will help refine and pilot the most promising program concept(s). Your role will be highly entrepreneurial and wide-ranging, and will interact with myriad facets of the Kiva organization, and the micro-finance industry. This is a perfect position for someone with a proactive, can-do attitude, who excels in creative problem-solving and independent thinking. The ideal candidate will be excited to volunteer their skills with Kiva, knowing they will gain invaluable experience from an industry-leading organization.
This is an unpaid Internship.
- Research and select the most appropriate borrowers for the pilot concept(s).
- Develop and independently manage partnerships for a relationship-based model
- Assist the team in resolving financial, legal & other types of complexities inherent in special project pilots.
- Proactively, and often independently, identify issues that could impede pilot progress, and recommend actions to maintain momentum.
- Proven project management skills
- Highly proactive and able to work independently
- Developed interpersonal and professional skill set for relationship management
- Entrepreneurial background
- Micro-finance experience preferable, but not essential
- Must have your own computer to use at Kiva
- Opportunity to join the team of the world’s first online person-to-person lending platform.
- Casual work environment- flexible office hours.
- References gladly given for successful participants.
Resume and cover letter required. Please specify your availability in the cover letter.