Kiva's Financial Intern (141-557)Bookmark This
875 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA
DescriptionAs a Financial Intern you will help Kiva drive new effective financial decision making across Kiva. Reporting to Kiva's head of FP&A and working closely with our CFO. You will lead projects to improve end to end P&L reporting including the evaluation planning and reporting of the group’s financial performance.
The candidate will support the functional leaders to develop effective and discrete business plans which they can articulate to the company’s senior leadership. This individual must be comfortable supporting major decisions with imperfect information. As the Kiva Financial Intern it is necessary to make prudent and bold risk-based decisions. It will be expected that this individual will develop an extremely strong “partner” relationship with the management team. He/she must be viewed as a team player and possess independence of thought and opinion to provide candor and honesty when making key business decisions.
This internship is unpaid.
- One of the most important deliverables for this role is to partner with Kiva’s Head of FP&A and its CFO to manage the process of defining and creating the financial analysis framework & roadmap (including tools) for Kiva going forward. This framework would then be tested by evaluating select short term tactical plans as well as near and long term strategic plans.
Resource Allocation and Investment ROI Analysis
- As a key member of the CFO’s staff, this position will support the team’s constant need to rationalize its planned resource deployment and its expected investment in new initiatives and products.
Analysis and Decision Support
- He/she will be very comfortable sorting through large data sets and parsing out key gems of business intelligence. Further, this individual will be effective in articulating the substance of his/her analysis and building the compelling story behind its meaning. It is just as likely the he/she will work directly with CFO & senior leaders to support their assessment of data and findings.
- MBA is desirable, though not required; we welcome candidates with a blend of work and in process education.
- Accounting proficiency - fluent navigating Kiva’s income statements, balance sheets and cash flows statements.
- Past experience as a hands on contributor comfortable working in detailed excel models.
- Strong communication skills: comfortable leading and influencing in group meetings.
- The ideal candidate will have served in a prior FP&A role or in small to intermediate size private to public company having focused on an entire P&L reporting not just a cost center(s).
- Some experience in financial services, payments, or other high tech consumer facing businesses.
- Experience with Pentaho or Jasper Reports, Crystal Reports or similar report designer software desired
- Must have own computer to use at Kiva
- Opportunity to join the team of the world’s first online person-to-person lending platform
- Exposure the inner workings of a non-profit, microfinance, and crowdfunding organization
- Rich educational experience including microfinance and professional development workshops
- Casual work environment - flexible office hours
- Free snacks and beverages
- References gladly given for successful participants
- Resume and cover letter required.
- Please attach resume and cover letter as a single PDF Doc (2 pages, 1 doc).
- Please specify your availability in the cover letter as well as providing us with three references.