LVN - PRN - Varies - - Medical Hill - Oakland, CABookmark This
IT'S SIMPLE.You want to work in a healthcare setting where you are valued and appreciated - where you receive respect from your superiors and co-workers as well as the patients/residents you treat. You want to be challenged by your job without being overwhelmed by it. You want to play an instrumental role in helping a patient recover, sometimes against strong odds, and go home. What you want is Kindred Healthcare. Our mission is to promote healing, provide hope, preserve dignity and produce value for each patient, resident, family member, customer, employee and shareholder we serve. Join us!
The LPN Charge Nurse manages a designated group of nursing employees on a nursing unit and assures smooth operations of the unit for a designated shift under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse. Could encompass one or more units depending upon size and clinical programs. Scope of work may be modified by State specific rules under the Nurse Practice Act.
- Participates with members of the interdisciplinary team to assess, plan, coordinate and evaluate residents care.
- Documents the residents condition and nursing needs accurately and in a timely manner. Reports pertinent observations and reactions regarding residents promptly to RN.
- Provides oncoming shift and supervisors with accurate and complete resident status report. Maintains the 24 hour report book.
- Receives and records physicians orders
- Communicates staffing problems and needs to the Nursing Manager. Provides input on staffing ratios and deployment.
- Develops work assignments for LPN/LVNs and Nurse Aides as directed.
- Coordinates, directs and evaluates staff [i.e., Medication Aides/Medication Techs, Nurse Aides, etc.] as directed. Participates in counseling, disciplinary action and termination of staff to the extent permitted by the State Nurse Practice Act.
- Assures compliance with policies and procedures.
- Reports problems and complaints timely to the Nurse Manager.
- Provides feedback to Nurse Managers regarding performance of Nurse Aides.
- Participates in hiring and selection of LPN/LVNs and Nurse Aides.
- Gives feedback and participates in performance appraisals as assigned.
- Coordinates nursing assignment, which includes directing assigned nursing staff to the extent permitted by state practice act.
- Receives and provides accurate and complete resident status report at shift change. Maintains 24 Hr Report Book.
- Assists in data collection for admission, transfer and discharge of residents and provides the information to the Nurse Manager.
- Maintains positive working relationships between nursing and other departments.
- Actively supports the Angel Care Program.
- Services on and participates in committees as assigned.
- Assures that inventory and supplies are maintained in a clean and safe manner on the unit, are utilized economically and communicates need for housekeeping, maintenance or nutritional services assistance.
- Supports and participates in the centers Performance Improvement initiatives.
- Participates in Survey readiness per SMART Manual
- Completes records and reports as needed.
- Adheres to professional codes of ethics, Kindreds Code of Conduct and maintains PHI confidentiality in the center and in external locations, including electronic social networks.
- Provides direct care and/or assists with care as directed and consistent with their scope of practice and competency. Initiate the SBAR process and collaborate with the RN for assessment and recommendations.
- Makes rounds with physicians and other team members as needed.
- Assist physicians and consultants with special tests or procedures within the scope of state specific nurse practice act and personal clinical competency.
- Participates in resident assessment and care planning activities, reviews and revises residents assessments and care plans as needed to the extent permitted by state nurse practice act.
- Coordinates residents care activities and communicates changes to other team members and resident family/significant other.
- Oversight of Medication Aide/Tech in medication/treatment administration.
- Administers treatments
- Reviews, transcribes, communicates and implements physician orders, obtaining RN signature as required by State Regulations.
- Communicates with residents physician.
- Assists with emergencies, administers cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Documents care performed and observations of resident status in the clinical record promptly by utilizing standard clinical documentation guidelines as required by Kindred, and local, state and federal rules and regulations.
- Monitors completeness and accuracy of own clinical medical record entries and those of assigned LPN/LVNs and Nurse Aides daily.
- Participates in medication management to promote optimal safety and effectiveness for residents by:
- Administering medications as ordered, including next scheduled dose following admission/readmission. Notify Supervisor of medications not available.
- Preparing, administering and documenting medications as prescribed.
- Observing and reporting resident responses to medication
- Identifying and promptly communicating adverse drug reactions
- Maintaining narcotic records accurately within scope of practice
- Responsible for completing medication interchange and insurance prior to authorization as assigned
- Ordering or arranging for ordering of pharmaceuticals
- Notifying physicians of automatic stop orders
- Completes recapitulated physician orders review as assigned
- Notifying supervisors of discrepancies in drug inventories
- Cleans, organizes and replenishes supplies on medication/treatment carts after each use and prior to shift change.
- Completes clinical admission paperwork for new admissions
- Initiates and assists consultants while providing services. Reviews documentation from consultant visit and follows up on recommendation.
- Assist with follow up on results of qualitative and quantitative medical record audits.
- Communicates and implements pharmacy review/DRR recommendation as assigned.
- Assists with clinical discharge process
- Performs other tasks as assigned
- Communicates educational needs of staff to Director of Staff Development and Supervisors.
- Provides individual and/or unit education to residents/families and staff based upon need and within scope of practice.
- Participate in the orientation of new employees.
Core Values/Service Excellence:
- Work efforts reflect a passion for exceeding customer expectations.
- Solicits patient/resident feedback to understand their needs and the needs of the community. Advocates for Service Excellence within the Center and influences others to take action.
- Displays responsibility by taking ownership of quality care. Shows dedication to enriching the lives of our patients and residents through empathy and compassion.
- Exhibits a commitment to results by looking for and recommending/implementing process improvements.
- Demonstrates commitment to interpersonal excellence through professional greetings, proper telephone etiquette, common courtesy, a professional attitude and appearance.
- Enriches the Center culture by having fun.
- Recognizes the benefits of team collaboration. Shows respect for fellow employees by working together to get the job done.
- Effectively addresses customer concerns and resolves conflict in a manner that is fair to all.