Lifeguard Part TimeBookmark This
YMCA of Greater Boston
Under the supervision of the Aquatics Director, this position is responsible for lifeguarding the pool, ensuring the safety of all patrons, enforcing pool rules, and implementing the branch EAP as needed.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES/PRINCIPLE ACTIVITIES:
- Scan pool in a continuous and consistent manner.
- Know and implement branch and pool EAP.
- Perform rescues, first aid, and CPR as needed.
- Maintain a professional image and manner consistent with the YMCA mission and goals at all times.
- Ensure a clean and safe pool environment at all times.
- When off the stand, assist with cleaning and testing of the pool.
- Engage in active listening with members in order to build relationships, understand each individual’s goals and interests and take the initiative to assist in the achievement of those goals.
- Enforce pool rules. Handle issues as they arise in a professional manner.
- Maintain a clear and consistent line of communication with all supervisors.
- All other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- At least 16 years of age.
- No experience necessary.
- Physically and verbally able to interact with members and staff.
- Must be able to scan the pool visually.
- May be required to sit or stand for extended period of time.
- At times, be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Y’s values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCA’s efforts for all stakeholders.
Collaboration: Serves as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Has strong communications skills and uses them to communicate with all members and supervisors. Has an expectation of quality and consistency from self and others.
Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Ensures continuous personal improvement.
Personal Growth: Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
- Shifts vary, but may include early mornings, nights, and weekends.
- Child Abuse Prevention (within first four weeks of employment)
- Respect in the Workplace (Sexual Harassment Prevention)
- CPR, First Aid, O2
- YMCA Lifeguarding