Medical AssistantBookmark This
8400 Northwest Blvd
DescriptionMedical Assistant Diploma
1 year of experience required
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The MA is the liaison between the patient and the medical doctors or their support staffs. Job includes following the patient from the time of arrival to their time of departure and making sure all of the patients and doctors needs are met to provide the best physician/patient experience as possible.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Possible lifting, bending, walking, kneeling, stretching and stooping. On occasion will be required to lift, position or transport, with assistance of other staff, patients in excess of 300 lbs. requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to allow for suture or staple removal. Requires normal hearing and eyesight to allow for patient interaction and transfer of patient information from the patient to the EHR. Ability to work in a stressful environment.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Fast-paced orthopaedic medical practice environment. Occasional night or early morning hours as well as the possibility for overtime. Must be able to adjust and adapt to change which may include changing offices, stations or assignments. This position does require travel to all OrthoIndy locations. Employees will be reimbursed for mileage between locations. Must be able to multitask, be professional and organized.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: (This list may not include all of the duties assigned.)
1. Responsible for assisting patients from check in to check out.
2. Responsible for escorting patients to the proper location within the clinic while keeping patients informed throughout their visit of any delays.
3. Responsible for recording vitals, medications, pharmacy, referring physician and the primary care physician in the EHR. Must also input x-ray orders given by the physician.
4. Responsible for stocking and cleaning all clinic areas daily. These areas include exam rooms, doctors stations, closets and any area patient may have access to. Clinic exam rooms are to be thoroughly cleaned weekly or sooner if needed. Restock supplies and inform the designated person when products need ordered.
5. Responsible for completing log sheet of injection and sample medications.
6. Responsible for reviewing the electronic charts the night before patients appointments and making sure all needed information is in chart: test results, referrals, lab results, etc. Per last office note, if information is missing, call the appropriate facility to retrieve the needed information. This should be done prior to the patient being seen by the physician.
7. Must be able to answer phones, take messages, or transfer patient to appropriate department.
8. Must be able to communicate with patients, fellow employees, physicians and physician support staff.
9. Must be able to take pulse rate, blood pressure, respirations, and/or temperature and communicate any abnormalities to the physician.
10. Responsible for suture or staple removal for a postoperative patient.
11. Responsible for aiding physician in procedures as needed.
12. Responsible for wound care and wound dressing.
13. Responsible for drawing up injectables per physician protocol.
14. Responsible for DME applications and documentation in EMR. Log any DME equipment given on log sheet as well.15. Opening procedures: Turn on all computers. Make sure all rooms are set up, clean and stocked for the day. 16. Closing procedures: Make sure all clinic suture sets are scrubbed. Check in X-ray jackets at analog sites. Clean all exam rooms surfaces with disinfectant cleaner and set rooms back up. Lock clinic drawers and closets. Make sure all clinic areas are cleared of dictated charts or papers left by previous physicians or physician staff. 17. Log in/out and lock up prescription pads. 18. Attends required meetings. 19. Maintains patient confidentiality. 20. Maintains professionalism at all times. 21. Responsible for following all HIPAA regulations and guidelines. 22. Responsible for following all OSHA guidelines while handling blood or bodily fluids. 23. Observe the guideline that no food or drink is allowed in patient areas. 24. Responsible for organization of work time and work areas. 25. All other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills Abilities : Knowledge and proficiency with all the above listed duties and procedures. Knowledge of medical terminology. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff and the public. Ability to maintain quality control standards. Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
Knowledge of basic business office procedures. Knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation to type patient information. Skill in operating a computer and photocopy machine. Skill in conversing on the telephone in a pleasant and helpful manner.
Ability to speak clearly and concisely. Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Education : Medical Assistants Diploma from an accredited program, required.
Experience : At least one year medical office experience.
Certificate/License : Certification from the American Association of Medical Assistants, preferred.
OrthoIndy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.