National Service Intern - NV State Program OfficeBookmark This
Corporation for National & Community Service
NV State Program Office 400 South Virginia Street, Suite 548
DescriptionThe Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) is a federal agency that engages more than five million Americans in service through its Senior Corps, AmeriCorps, and MLK and 9-11 programs, scales evidence-based practices through the Social Innovation Fund, and leads President Obama's national call to service initiative, United We Serve. For more information, visit NationalService.gov. The internship is located in the Office of Field Liaison in the Nevada State Office located in Reno, Nevada.
CNCS is unable to offer stipends, relocation or housing assistance. However, this internship offers opportunities to gain excellent practical work experience and skill development. Intern may be eligible to receive commuter benefits to use for public transportation to and from the internship site.
ResponsibilitiesRetention Improvement Associate
Goal 1: Identify solutions to help NV VISTA programs improve retention rates of VISTA members.
Activity 1: Research current and historical retention rates for VISTA members in NV.
Activity 2. Identify programs who have excellent, average, and poor retention rates.
Activity 3. Interview VISTA Supervisors and other appropriate staff members to identify best practices, common challenges, and other patterns.
Activity 4: Interview other State Offices to determine strategies they have used to improve retention.
Activity 5: Interview an array VISTA members to identify possible retention strategies that are working for them.
Goal 2. Develop training materials to support retention
Activity 1: Develop a list of best practices and useful materials that could support VISTA member retention.
Activity 2: Develop curriculum that can be used in-person and remotely to train VISTA Supervisors. Materials should support both self-directed training as well as facilitated training.
Activity 3: Develop package of materials that can be distributed electronically or through the mail.
Goal 3. Pilot Training Materials
Activity 1: Pilot training with at least two VISTA Supervisors.
Activity 1: Collect feedback and revise as appropriate.
1. Writing - Recognizes or uses correct English grammar, punctuation, and spelling; communicates information (for example, facts, ideas, or messages) in a succinct and organized manner; produces written information, which may include technical material that is appropriate for the intended audience.
2. Self-Management - Sets well-defined and realistic personal goals; displays a high level of initiative, effort, and commitment towards completing assignments in a timely manner; works with minimal supervision; is motivated to achieve; demonstrates responsible behavior.
3. Information Management - Identifies a need for and knows where or how to gather information; organizes and maintains information or information management systems.
4. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
5. Conscientiousness - Displays a high level of effort and commitment towards performing work; demonstrates responsible behavior.
6. Teamwork – Encourages and facilitates cooperation, pride, trust, and group identity; fosters commitment and team spirit; works with others to achieve goals.