Nursing Staff Development Coordinator - Transitional Care and Rehab (Lake Med campus) Painesville, Ohio 44077Bookmark This
DescriptionDescription IT'S SIMPLE. You want to work in a healthcare setting where you are valued and appreciated - where you receive respect from your superiors and co-workers as well as the patients you treat. You want to be challenged by your job without being overwhelmed by it. You want to play an instrumental role in helping a patient recover, sometimes against strong odds, and go home. What you want is Kindred Healthcare. Our mission is to promote healing, provide hope, preserve dignity and produce value for each patient, resident, family member, customer, employee and shareholder we serve. Join us!
The Director of Staff Development is responsible for planning, directing, coordinating, and evaluating educational programs for nursing service and other departments, performs clinical tasks and assists in other departments.
- Ensures that employees receive compliance training and education necessary to perform their job responsibilities in accordance with Kindred's Code of Business Conduct.
- Oversees the process for competency evaluation of new clinical department personnel; recommends progression to permanent employement or extension of orientation/probationary period for new employees.
- Plans, organizes, and implements ongoing education and training programs for licensed nurses, nursing assistants, unit clearks, and other ancillary personnel to promote the knowledge and skills necessary for the provision of quality care consistent with services provided by the center.
- In coordination with the Director of Nursing and the Executive Director, periodically reviews the center Clinical Admission Grid and service lines to identify applicable advanced/as needed competencies required for clinical personnel.
- Plans, organizes, and implements education training programs to meet the strategic goals of the center.
- Conducts or coordinates certification or training programs for Nursing Assistants to prepare them for state certification/competency exam as applicable.
- Conducts needs assessment through review of survey history, individual performance and competency evaluation, center performance improvement trends, input from center department managers, and input from individual staff members, to identify educational needs to staff.
- Provides and/or assists employees to identify available resources to achieve continuing education requirements if applicable.
- Ensures the educational curriculum in the center meets or exceeds state, federal and accreditation requirements.
- Develops and maintains monthly and annual education calendars.
- Ensures educational opportunities are effectively communicated to center personnel.
- Provides clinical and classroom hands-on instruction, and on the job coaching to licensed and un licensed personnel.
- Coordinates and/or conducts CPR training for licensed personnel and applicable non-licensed personnel.
- Working with the Director of Nursing Services (DNS), ensures clinical comptency of nursing staff through observed skills evaluation, and ensures completion of annual competency assessments for clinical personnel.
- Provides supplemental training and education as applicable for identified performance concerns and makes recommendations for additional training and follow up to the Department Manager.
- Collaborates with other staff, within the nursing service and other departments, to provide educational programs and experiences. Utilizes both internal and community resources in meeting staff development needs.
- Organizes and assists individuals with the development of learning opportunities for professional growth.
- Utilizes and disseminates current nursing literature and edcuational materials. Ensures staff awareness of current policies and procedures and professional standards of practice.
- Ensures staff edcuation and skills validation regarding patient care procedures and equipment.
- Ensures that documentation for all training and education is completed and maintained in accordance with state, federal and Kindred Compliance program requirements.
- Ensures data entry into the Learning Management System is relfective of all in-service edcuation offerings and employee attendance, and is updated timely in accordance with company policy.
- Recommends staff development program and resource needs to administration for budgets and contains expenditures to current budge.
- Develops and facilititates and orientation program for all facility personnel. Orientation programs to include general orientation for new and rehired facility personnel and clinical orientation for clinical employees in accordance with Kindred policy as well as state and federal requirements and other job specific/rolese based training as needed.
- Plans, organizes and implements concise orientations for contract personnel.
- Coordinates students clinical experiences within the facility; provides orientation for visiting faculty and students.
- Manages Employee Health Program to include:
- Coordination of employee physicals if required
- Tracking of employee illness for identification of developing infection trends and enforcement of applicable work restrictions.
- Coordination of annual Influenza campaign
- Provision of TB screening and Hepatitis B vaccination
- Coordination of necessary medical follow up for work related injuries
- Ensures proper retention of employee health records in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Participates in Workers Compensation/Blood Borne Pathogen programs as assigned with oversight of documentation requirements.
- Serves as a member of the center Safety Committee and ensures education is provided to personnel in response to identified trends and immediate safety concerns.
- Services as the center Infection Control Preventionist as assigned.
- Responsibilities of the Infection Control Preventionist include but are not limited to the following:
- Chairs center Infection Control Committee
- Tracks and trends infections occurring in the center and among center personnel
- Alerts members of the Infection Control Committee of developing trends and infection Outbreaks
- Serves as liaison between the center and state and local agencies for communication regarding reportable infections, infection trends and outbreaks
- Maintains surveillance documentation in accordance with Kindred policy and procedure, and state and federal regulations
- Ensures appropriate infection control measures are implemented and maintained to contain significant infections, infection trends and infection outbreaks.
- Observes staff adherence to hand hygiene, Standard Precautions, and other infection control practices necessary to protect resident and employee health.
- Provides required routine infection control education as well as education pertaining to developing infection trends or outbreaks
- Reports analysis of infection rates and trends to the center Performance Improvement Committee and Infection Control subcommittee.
- Participates as a member of the center Performance Improvement Committee and applicable subcommittees and develops educational strategies to facilitate quality improvement efforts.
- Reads professional literature and participates in educational experiences that assist in maintaining and improving personal, clinical and teaching competencies.
- Adheres to professional code of ethics.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
Core Values/Service Excellence:
- Work efforts reflect a passion for exceeding customer expectations.
- Solicits patient/resident feedback to understand their needs and the needs of the community. Advocates for Service Excellence within the Center and influences others to take action.
- Displays responsibility by taking ownership of quality care. Shows dedication to enriching the lives of our patients and residents through empathy and compassion.
- Exhibits a commitment to results by looking for and recommending/implementing process improvements.
- Demonstrates commitment to interpersonal excellence through professional greetings, proper telephone etiquette, common courtesy, a professional attitude and appearance.
- Enriches the Center culture by having fun.
- Recognizes the benefits of team collaboration. Shows respect for fellow employees by working together to get the job done.
- Effectively addresses customer concerns and resolves conflict in a manner that is fair to all.