Organization InternBookmark This
National Disaster Search Dog Foundation
501 East Ojai Avenue, Ojai, CA
Founded in 1996, the National Disaster Search Dog Foundation (SDF) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization based in Ojai, California. Our mission is to strengthen disaster response in America. We do this by recruiting rescued dogs and partnering them with firefighters to find people buried alive in the wreckage of disasters. We offer the professionally trained canines and an ongoing training program at no cost to fire departments, and ensure lifetime care for every dog in our program: once rescued, these dogs never need to be rescued again.
SDF’s team is comprised of eleven staff members, seven Board members and numerous volunteers. There are currently 74 SDF-trained Canine Disaster Search Teams located in California, Florida, Nebraska, New York, Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah.
SDF is looking for motivated individuals to join our team! This experience will provide interns with an opportunity to work in a diverse, fast-paced environment and gain work experience in a variety of areas. The internship programs range from ten-week to two-year periods. A letter of recommendation will be issued upon successful completion of the internship program.
If you enjoy challenging, creative, precision work, want to be part of a terrific team, and are interested in making your mark in this rapidly growing organization and in the field of disaster response, we’d like to meet you!
The Organization Intern will assist and report to the Executive Assistant to the Executive Director. The position will be responsible for the following responsibilities:
• Assisting with customer service and on the phones
• Data entry, filing, copying, sorting, and other miscellaneous administrative tasks
• Researching and preparing summary reports and spreadsheets
• Assisting staff with various projects and assignments
• Assisting staff in the coordination of events
HOURS & COMPENSATION
• Part-time internship
• Monday through Friday (hours flexible)
• Stipends (up to $500 per quarter) issued quarterly and based on the number of hours worked and length of the internship
• Letter of recommendation issued upon successful completion of the internship program
RequirementsREQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• Excellent customer service, communication and writing skills
• Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
• High-level of expertise in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) and computer database management
• Ability to produce high-quality work against a deadline
• Positive, can-do attitude and great people skills