Internship for Badass Start-Up Clothing Line!Bookmark This
DescriptionBeautilation is a new and rapidly growing independent brand currently sold on Etsy with a worldwide cult following forming all over the web. The clothes are a mixture of trendy cuts, custom quality, department store costs and a fierce, sweet yet strange graphic design.
Since late of last year to the present, Beautilation has been operated by one person- me, Mandy. I graduated from Parsons NYC in May 2012 with a BFA in fashion design, being an assistant costume designer and a freelance couture designer after graduation. Beautilation was a part-time gig when I started it up after those post-graduation months, but I was finding it oddly more exciting as a career than my other positions, so I dedicated every second of my free time to getting the name out there and making all new designs to draw in more cool, young, creative women and promoting my brand to my nearly 30,000 followers on Tumblr, also called Beautilation.
Since making this company my full time job, success has been steady and my company and profits are growing, however I am at a point now where I and my customer service would benefit greatly from another hand helping me. Being a recent graduate I can offer excellent guidance for college students interested in all aspects of starting up a small business, whether in the fashion/clothing industry or if the interest is in ecommerce. I have also had my share of numerous internships and personally know the kind of boss that is awesome (i.e. teaches you a lot, rewards your work, gives you credit, works with your schedule) and one that sucks (doesn't pay, treats you like a slave, makes you feel stupid for asking questions, has unfair expectations as far as scheduling...)
However: as caring as I am about you being treated well, know that this is business and there are NO personality traits that can make up for lateness, numerous simple errors, needing to be reminded to do tasks you should already be doing, etc. I just let one intern go who was a sweetheart but was not cutting the cake as far as getting stuff done right and when I need it: they slowed me down, they got a warning, they messed up again, they were cut. Don't waste my time and this will be amazing for you.
You will be an integral part in the growth of my business and will thus be right there to see exactly how that happens, how it works, and how it grows from there. Compensation will be discussed with suitable candidates, college credit offered as well. Don't copy and paste your cover letter note-- yes we can always tell--your application won't even be read. Prove to me you want this and can do this.
Responsibilities- Answer and keep a detailed log of my Etsy messages daily, which you will relay to me. I will teach you how to do all of this until you are comfortable with it, but this is a very, very important responsibility that you simply cannot be unable to do. Being a poor customer correspondent is definitely a deal-breaker.
- Help It's a small one, so organization is crucial. This includes making sure supplies are labeled and put in their correct place, inventory is neatly put out, tools are prepared for use or put away, and be alert when supplies or inventory are low or out.
- Run errands. The physical errands you will have to run will all be in the same general vicinity of Manhattan, which is very close to the train that will take you back to my studio. These errands are shopping for specific garments a H&M and picking up supplies at Staples. You may also be sent to the post office a couple blocks away from my studio to mail orders.
- Take inventory. I do not keep mountains of inventory (mostly shirts and totes) at once, but I do have about a month's worth of orders in my studio at a time that needs to remain organized and folded. You should keep track of how many of each size/ color/ garment is left after each day so I can keep track of when things need to be ordered.
- Print postage and prepare envelopes
- Create fun ads for my shop on Photoshop
- Assist with photo shoots
- Maintain and update my Facebook page
* Everything you will need will be provided for you, including a Metrocard for running errands.
Requirements- Must be able to commute to New York City and Astoria (Queens).
- Any year college student, preferably with a creative or business major with either some sort of background in fashion (retail, blogging, interning...) or a strong passion for style and clothing.
- Must be extremely detail-oriented; If you are not one to double check yourself automatically, you need not apply.
- Must be highly organized and able to multitask. Seriously.
- Must be well written, concise and professional when communicating on behalf of the company.
- Must be punctual and communicative with me
- Must be familiar with online social networking.
- Must run errands around Manhattan (mostly shopping for supplies/ clothing or a trip to the screen printer). If the concept of lots of walking and commuting is scary to you, you need not apply.
- Be reliable. Show up on time, let me know beforehand if you can't make a certain day, complete the tasks you accept, be professional when you are representing the brand. Simple stuff, but it really shows character.
-Preferably someone who identifies with the Beautilation brand. In my experience, you will always work better within a place that shares a similar creed or vision as you because the work is more of a personal creative challenge than simply a job, and I really am looking for someone who is enthusiastic about working with me and my brand because they identify with it somehow, on some level. I find that passion is the necessary ingredient to getting the hang of and eventually mastering any new skill, so if you really identify with this, make it clear.
* Preferred skills & attributes:
- Professional experience as an assistant
- Are a blogger or an Etsy shop owner/ customer
- Are a budding fashion entrepreneur or business owner
- Are a fan of Beautilation
- Are a skilled writer
- Think that hairless Sphynx cats are cute