Paralegal InternBookmark This
McKee Law Office
833 Chestnut Street
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: Full-time, Paid
DescriptionMcKee Law Office is growing! We are currently looking for a Paralegal Intern. This position will be mainly responsible for assisting the lead attorney prepare and conduct a trial. This is an ideal internship for someone interested in learning how to be a litigation paralegal. The ultimate goal is to help the firm efficiently and accurately resolve our client’s lawsuits.
1. Some Paralegal Studies. Our clients are smart, yet down to earth business owners. We are looking for someone with the same qualities. We are looking for someone who enjoys learning new skills or methods.
1. Goal-Oriented. Your assignments will be driven by court deadlines. Thus, time-management and project-management are essential skills.
2. Creative. The firm’s primary mission is that everyone who contacts our firm walks away informed and relieved. Thus, we are looking for someone who is passionate about helping others and solving problems. .
3. Independent. You will have autonomy and independence. You, of course, will have weekly goals and tasks to complete. However, the method and manner in which you achieve those goals are up to you.
1. This position does not require set hours. You will set your schedule.
2. We anticipate this internship will require 5-8 hours a week. The internship will begin immediately and end on June 1, 2011.
3. This job can be handled virtually, including any meetings or follow-up discussions. You have the option of working from Jenkins Law Library, which is located in Center City.
4. We will assign three active cases to handle throughout the internship. You will handle the case from client intake through trial.
1. This is an unpaid internship.
2. You will have the opportunity to attend free webinars to sharpen your skill-set.
3. As a member of McKee Law Office, you will also become a member of Jenkins Law Library.
4. This internship offers the ability to work from home, school, or the library.
5. This internship also offers client contact and court appearances. You will learn skills that will make you invaluable to a litigation law firm.
6. We will submit any report necessary to your school so that you can receive school credit for this internship, if possible. Speak to your counselor for more information.
1. An orientation covering office policies, emergency procedures, and a tour of our virtual office.
2. At least one hour of job shadowing and supervised training on procedures.
3. Monthly training throughout the internship. We will cover the following topics:
a. Legal research using Fastcase and Jenkins Law Library
b. Efiling for the U.S. District Court, Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia Municipal Court
c. How to prepare for trial
d. How to prepare and maintain a trial notebook
e. How to interview witnesses
f. How to conduct fact and background investigations
g. How to draft and file pleadings according to the Philadelphia Rules of Civil Procedure
RequirementsWhat You Will Learn As Our Intern
1. Research. You will learn how to research legal issues about breach of contracts, estate disputes, and civil procedure for Pennsylvania and Philadelphia.
2. Writing. You will learn how to draft memorandum of law and pleadings for state court. You will also learn how to file these pleadings using the court’s efiling system.
3. Case Investigation. You will learn how to investigate, using the internet and other print sources, case facts and witnesses. You will also learn how to assist the attorney during witness interviews and preparation.
4. Trial Appearance. You will learn how to assist the lead attorney in preparing the case for trial and assist the attorney during the trial. You will also learn how to create and maintain a trial notebook.
1. Problem Solving. Our clients’ problems are often complicated. This will require you to craft creative solutions.
2. Internet Savvy. You must be willing to learn how to use nontraditional online sources for legal research, like Cornell Law, Findlaw, and Justia.
3. Intellectual Curiosity. Our clients are intelligent, business-owners, therefore our staff must also be intelligent. Humor is encouraged but not required.
4. Software. You should be familiar with Microsoft Word or Open Office.