Part-Time Dental Assisting Instructor (Pool)Bookmark This
College San Mateo
1700 W. Hillsdale Boulevard
San Mateo, CA
DescriptionGeneral Statement: This is an ongoing application pool for Instructors that is reviewed on an as needed basis. As Instructors are needed to teach specific courses at the campuses, selections will be made from among this pool of applicants for all campuses- Skyline College, College of San Mateo, Cañada College. If you do not receive a response this could be because there is no position at a particular campus available at the present time or that the position/s have already been filled.
Your resume will remain on file for a period of three years after which we would request that you please reapply. Thank you.
Applicants with disabilities may request that special accommodations be made to complete the selection process. Request forms are available on the web page and in the Office of Human Resources. Duties and Responsibilities: Provide instruction in Dental Assisting; implement skill building in the Dental Assisting lab setting; prepare class assignments and course work; grade student work; record and post grades in a timely fashion; report to the lead instructor as needed; consult with students during regularly scheduled office hours; participate in Dental Assisting team, department, and division meetings; assist in curriculum development and revision; perform other duties as required by contract, collective bargaining agreements, and general institutional needs Requirements: 1. Bachelor's degree AND two years of Dental Assisting experience OR Associate degree and six years of Dental Assisting experience OR the equivalent (see below).
2. A current California Registered Dental Assistant license (in good standing).
3. A current national Certified Dental Assistant license (in good standing).
4. A current CPR certificate.
5. Ability to communicate effectively and constructively with persons of diverse cultures, language groups, and abilities.
6. Demonstrated sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
For persons applying for this position based on equivalence, please answer the supplemental question on the application choosing one or more of the following:
Degree Equivalence: Possession of a degree(s) with similar content to those listed in the job announcement. Transcript required.
Academic Background Equivalence: Meet all of the Requirements in an allied field, and twenty-four (24) semester units of both upper division and graduate work in the academic field specified in the job announcement. Transcripts required.
Professional Achievement Equivalence: Outstanding professional achievement or substantial training in the field specified in the job announcement. Preparation, experience and ability must be equivalent to those expected from a candidate who meets the Requirements. Desirable Skills and Abilities: 1. Recent experience in dental assisting and/or concurrent employment in a dental office
2. Willingness to update skills if needed.
3. Maintain licensure by attending continuing education classes or home study courses
4. Ability to teach in those areas as assigned. These positions may require assignment to evenings or weekends.
5. Demonstrate knowledge of a variety of successful teaching techniques.
6. Demonstrate an understanding of current dental assisting issues and trends.
7. Be willing to actively participate and contribute to changes in the Dental Assisting program at department and team meetings.
Evidence of ability as a teacher including:
1. A commitment to staying abreast of new trends, techniques, and materials in dental assisting;
2. A commitment to supporting gender and ethnically diverse students enrolled in dental assisting;
3. The ability to ensure consistent and appropriate monitoring of student progress;
4. The ability to use teaching methods that engage students actively in their own learning and encourage them to learn problem solving skills;
5. The ability to adapt teaching methodology to meet the needs of an ethnically and culturally diverse group of students;
6. The ability to assist students in the acquisition, analysis and evaluation of knowledge and skills in dental assisting;
7. A willingness to work with both faculty and staff in a spirit of collegiality at department , division, college, and district levels;
8. The ability to reflect on and evaluate the effectiveness of one's own pedagogy and modify techniques to engage students;
9. A familiarity with and willingness to expand the use of computer-based technology appropriate to the field of dentistry;
10. A commitment to the SMCCCD goal of integrating writing skills across the curriculum;
11. A commitment to the goals and ideals of the teaching profession and enthusiasm for the mission of the community college. EEO Statement: The San Mateo County Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ individuals who represent the rich diversity of cultures, language groups, and abilities of its surrounding communities. Benefits: Academic employees participate in the State Teachers' Retirement System (STRS), a defined-benefit retirement plan through the State of California or they may choose to participate in the STRS Cash Balance program or Social Security. Required Documents: Resume/Curriculum Vitae
College Transcripts Special Instructions to Applicants: The cover letter should address applicant qualifications as they directly related to the Requirements and Desirable Skills and Abilities listed in this announcement.
Unofficial copies of all undergraduate and graduate academic transcripts may be submitted with the application; official copies will be required at the time of the interview.