Part-Time Economics Instructor (Pool)Bookmark This
300 College Dr
San Bruno, CA
DescriptionGeneral Statement: This is an ongoing application pool for Instructors that is reviewed on an as needed basis. As Instructors are needed to teach specific courses at the campuses, selections will be made from among this pool of applicants for all campuses- Skyline College, College of San Mateo, Cañada College. If you do not receive a response this could be because there is no position at a particular campus available at the present time or that the position/s have already been filled.
Your resume will remain on file for a period of three years after which we would request that you please reapply. Thank you.
Applicants with disabilities may request that special accommodations be made to complete the selection process. Request forms are available on the web page and in the Office of Human Resources. Duties and Responsibilities: Teach classes as assigned from the regular Economics Department curriculum; consult with students during regularly scheduled office hours; maintain expertise in current teaching and discipline technologies; perform other duties as required by contract, collective bargaining agreement, and general institutional needs. The College offers day and evening classes. Requirements: 1. Master's degree in Economics OR Bachelor's degree in Economics AND Master's degree in Business, Business Administration, Business Management, Business Education, Finance, or Political Science OR the equivalent.
2. Ability to communicate effectively with persons of diverse cultures and language groups, and people who have disabilities. Demonstrated sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with disabilities, in both day and evening settings.
For persons applying for this position based on Equivalence, please answer the supplemental question on the online application choosing one or more of the following:
Degree Equivalence: Possession of a degree(s) with similar content to those listed in the job announcement. Transcript required.
Academic Background Equivalence: Meet all of the Requirements in an allied field, and twenty-four (24) semester units of both upper division and graduate work in the academic field specified in the job announcement. Transcripts required.
Professional Achievement Equivalence: Outstanding professional achievement or substantial training in the field specified in the job announcement. Preparation, experience and ability must be equivalent to those expected from a candidate who meets the Requirements. Desirable Skills and Abilities: The screening committee will select for interview candidates from among those applicants who, in addition to meeting the minimum requirements, give evidence of any or all of the following:
1. Recent successful experience in teaching or preparation to teach college-level courses in one or more of the following areas of Economics: Principles of Macroeconomics and Principles of Microeconomics.
2. Understanding and commitment to the role and purpose of the community college.
3. Knowledge of the use of technology in teaching and Economics.
4. Ability to use and develop teaching methods that emphasize cooperation and collaboration, and engage students actively in learning, encouraging them to become independent, creative learners with higher-order thinking skills.
5. Ability to organize and explain materials in ways appropriate to students with different abilities, levels of preparation, and cultural experiences.
6. Ability to develop instructional learning outcomes and to develop methods for assessing student's achievement of these outcomes.
7. Ability to organize and teach both theoretical and practical applications of the subject-matter in ways appropriate to students abilities.
8. Acceptance of the division's commitment to established academic standards.
9. Commitment to the SMCCCD goal of integrating writing skills across the curriculum. EEO Statement: The San Mateo County Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ individuals who represent the rich diversity of cultures, language groups, and abilities of its surrounding communities. Benefits: Academic employees participate in the State Teachers' Retirement System (STRS), a defined-benefit retirement plan through the State of California or they may choose to participate in the STRS Cash Balance program or Social Security. Required Documents: Resume/Curriculum Vitae
College Transcripts Special Instructions to Applicants: The cover letter should address applicant qualifications as they directly related to the Requirements and Desirable Skills and Abilities listed in this announcement.
Unofficial copies of all undergraduate and graduate academic transcripts may be submitted with the application; official copies will be required at the time of the interview.