Part-Time Nutrition Instructor (Pool)Bookmark This
4200 Farm Hill Boulevard
Redwood City, CA
DescriptionGeneral Statement: This is an ongoing application pool for Instructors that is reviewed on an as needed basis. As Instructors are needed to teach specific courses at the campuses, selections will be made from among this pool of applicants for all campuses- Skyline College, College of San Mateo, Cañada College. If you do not receive a response this could be because there is no position at a particular campus available at the present time or that the position/s have already been filled.
Your resume will remain on file for a period of three years after which we would request that you please reapply. Thank you.
Applicants with disabilities may request that special accommodations be made to complete the selection process. Request forms are available on the web page and in the Office of Human Resources. Duties and Responsibilities: The essential functions of this position include the following: teach a comprehensive introduction to nutrition course; assist in curriculum revisions and new course development; consult with students during regularly scheduled office hours; maintain expertise in current technologies. Requirements: 1. Nutritional Science/Dietetics: Master's in nutrition, dietetics, or dietetics and food administration OR Bachelor's in any of the above AND Master's in chemistry, public health, or family and consumer studies/home economics OR The equivalent.
(NOTE: A Bachelor's in nutrition, dietetics, or dietetics and food administration, and certification as a registered dietitian, is an alternative qualification for this discipline, pursuant to Title 5 Section 53410.1.)
2. Ability to communicate effectively with persons of diverse cultures and language groups, and people who have disabilities. Demonstrated sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with disabilities, in both day and evening settings.
For persons applying for this position based on equivalence, please answer the supplemental question on the application choosing one or more of the following:
1. Degree Equivalence: Possession of a degree(s) with similar content to those listed in the job announcement. Transcript required.
2. Academic Background Equivalence: Meet all of the Requirements in an allied field, and twenty-four (24) semester units of both upper division and graduate work in the academic field specified in the job announcement. Transcripts required.
3. Professional Achievement Equivalence: Outstanding professional achievement or substantial training in the field specified in the job announcement. Preparation, experience and ability must be equivalent to those expected from a candidate who meets the Requirements. Desirable Skills and Abilities: 1. Academic preparation for, or successful experience in, teaching nutrition, preferably at the college level.
2. Knowledge of successful teaching techniques that engage students in their own learning, motivate students to develop higher order thinking skills, and ensure consistent and appropriate monitoring of student progress.
3. Commitment to maintain currency in the discipline, and related technology appropriate to instruction.
4. Commitment to the teaching profession, its goals and ideals.
5. Enthusiasm for, understanding of, and commitment to the role and purpose of the community college.
6. The capacity to reflect on and evaluate one's pedagogy and to examine its effects critically.
7. Skill and experience to motivate students from a broad spectrum of cultural, socioeconomic, and language backgrounds.
8. Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken language.
9. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
10. Ability to use instructional strategies designed for diverse learning styles and academic goals.
11. Commitment to the SMCCCD goal of integrating writing across the curriculum.
12. Experience in and commitment to the use of computer-based technology appropriate to the subject areas of the assignment and willingness to expand this technology. EEO Statement: The San Mateo County Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ individuals who represent the rich diversity of cultures, language groups, and abilities of its surrounding communities. Benefits: Academic employees participate in the State Teachers' Retirement System (STRS), a defined-benefit retirement plan through the State of California or they may choose to participate in the STRS Cash Balance program or Social Security. Required Documents: Resume/Curriculum Vitae
College Transcripts Special Instructions to Applicants: The cover letter should address applicant qualifications as they directly related to the Requirements and Desirable Skills and Abilities listed in this announcement.
Unofficial copies of all undergraduate and graduate academic transcripts may be submitted with the application; official copies will be required at the time of the interview.