Part-time Engineering Instructor (Pool)Bookmark This
3401 CSM Drive
San Mateo, CA
DescriptionGeneral Statement: This is an ongoing application pool for Engineering instructors that is reviewed on an as needed basis. As instructors are needed to teach specific courses at the campuses, selections will be made from among this pool of applicants for SMCCCD colleges- Skyline College, College of San Mateo, Cañada College. If you do not receive a response this could be because there is no position at a particular campus available at the present time or that the position/s have already been filled.
Assignments could involve any combination of day or evening classes, with office hours.
Your resume will remain on file for a period of three years after which we would request that you please reapply. Thank you.
Applicants with disabilities may request that special accommodations be made to complete the selection process. Request forms are available on the web page and in the Office of Human Resources. Duties and Responsibilities: Essential Functions include the following:
Teach college courses in Engineering. A strong interest and ability to teach both the lecture and the laboratory portions of courses is required. In addition faculty are required to assist in curriculum revisions and new course development, consult with students during office and lab hours and maintain expertise in current technologies; serve as a member of division and college committees; and perform other professional duties as arequired by contract and general institutional needs. Requirements: 1. Master's degree in any field of engineering OR Bachelor's degree in any field of engineering and Master's degree in mathematics, physics, computer science, chemistry, or geology OR, the equivalent (see information that follows).
2. Demonstrated cultural competence, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff.
For persons applying for this position based on equivalence, please answer the supplemental question on the application choosing one or more of the following:
Degree Equivalence: Possession of a degree(s) with similar content to those listed in the job announcement. Transcripts required.
Academic Background Equivalence: Meet all of the requirements for minimum qualifications in an allied field, and twenty-four (24) semester units of both upper division and graduate work in the academic field specified in the job announcement. Transcripts required.
Professional Achievement Equivalence:
Outstanding professional achievement or substantial training in the field specified in the job announcement. Preparation, experience, and ability must be equivalent to those expected from a candidate who meets minimum qualifications. Desirable Skills and Abilities: 1. Recent successful experience in teaching or preparation to teach college-level courses in Engineering
2. Knowledge of successful teaching techniques
3. Understanding and commitment to the role and purpose of the community college
4. Ability to use current technologies as they apply to the teaching of Engineering
5. Ability to use and develop teaching methods that emphasize cooperation and collaboration, and engage students actively in learning, encouraging them to become independent, creative learners with higher-order thinking skills
6. Ability to organize and explain materials in ways appropriate to students with different abilities, levels of preparation, and cultural experiences
7. Ability to develop instructional learning outcomes and to develop methods for assessing student's achievement of these outcomes
8. Ability to organize and teach both theoretical and practical applications of the subject-matter in ways appropriate to students abilities EEO Statement: The San Mateo County Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ individuals who represent the rich diversity of cultures, language groups, and abilities of its surrounding communities. Benefits: Academic employees participate in the State Teacher's Retirement System (STRS), a defined-benefit retirement plan through the State of California or they may choose to participate in the STRS Cash Balance program or Social Security. Required Documents: Resume/Curriculum Vitae
College Transcripts Special Instructions to Applicants: The cover letter should address applicant qualifications as they directly relate to the Requirements and Desirable Skills and Abilities listed in this announcement.
Unofficial copies of all undergraduate and graduate academic transcripts may be submitted with the application; official copies will be required at the time of the interview.