Part-time Microbiology Instructor (Pool)Bookmark This
College San Mateo
1700 W. Hillsdale Boulevard
San Mateo, CA
DescriptionGeneral Statement: This is an ongoing application pool for Instructors that is reviewed on an as needed basis. As Instructors are needed to teach specific courses at the campuses, selections will be made from among this pool of applicants for all campuses- Skyline College, College of San Mateo, Cañada College. If you do not receive a response this could be because there is no position at a particular campus available at the present time or that the position/s have already been filled.
Your resume will remain on file for a period of three years after which we would request that you please reapply. Thank you.
Applicants with disabilities may request that special accommodations be made to complete the selection process. Request forms are available on the web page and in the Office of Human Resources. Duties and Responsibilities: The essential functions of this position include the following: teach all courses offered in the microbiology curriculum; assist in curriculum revisions and new course development; consult with students during regularly scheduled office and lab hours; maintain expertise in current technologies; serve as a member of division and college committees; and perform other professional duties as required by contract and general institutional needs. Requirements: 1. Master's in any Biological Science OR Bachelor's Degree in any Biological Science AND Master's in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or Marine Science OR the equivalent (see below).
2. Ability to communicate and work effectively with community college students of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, including students with physical disabilities, in both day and evening settings.
For persons applying for this position based on equivalence, please answer the supplemental question on the application choosing one or more of the following:
Degree Equivalence: Possession of a degree(s) with similar content to those listed in the job announcement. Transcripts are required.
Academic BackgroundEquivalence: Meet all of the requirements for minimum qualifications in an allied field, and twenty-four (24) semester units of both upper division and graduate work in the academic field specified in the job announcement. Transcripts are required.
Professional Achievement Equivalence: Outstanding professional achievement or substantial training in the field specified in the job announcement. Preparation, experience, and ability must be equivalent to those expected from a candidate who meets minimum qualifications. Desirable Skills and Abilities: Desirable subject matter preparation:
1. Recent successful experience in teaching or preparation to teach college-level courses in biology or other appropriate preparation to teach these courses.
2. Preference will be given to candidates who have expertise in teaching microbiology.
3. Evidence of outstanding ability as a teacher. In addition to a short classroom lecture/demonstration that will be part of the interview process, appropriate evidence includes, but is not limited to, experience, training, or achievement.
4. The ability to use teaching methods that engage students actively in their own learning and encourage them to become self-regulated learners.
5. The ability to use instructional methods that emphasize cooperation and collaboration and that reflect intercultural and interdisciplinary approaches to subject matter.
6. The ability to motivate students to develop higher-order thinking skills.
7. The ability to organize and explain materials in ways appropriate to students' abilities.
8. The ability to ensure consistent and appropriate monitoring of student progress.
9. The ability to reflect on and evaluate one's pedagogy and to examine its effect critically.
10. A commitment to the SMCCCD goal of integrating writing skills across the curriculum.
11. Familiarity with and willingness to expand the use of computer-based technology appropriate to the subject area.
12. A commitment to the teaching profession, its goals and ideals, and enthusiasm for the mission of the community college. EEO Statement: The San Mateo County Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ individuals who represent the rich diversity of cultures, language groups, and abilities of its surrounding communities. Benefits: Academic employees participate in the State Teachers' Retirement System (STRS), a defined-benefit retirement plan through the State of California, or they may choose to participate in the STRS Cash Balance program or Social Security. Required Documents: Resume/Curriculum Vitae
College Transcripts Special Instructions to Applicants: The cover letter should address the applicant's qualifications as they directly relate to the Requirements and Desirable Skills and Abilities listed in this announcement.
Unofficial copies of all undergraduate and graduate academic transcripts may be submitted with the application; official copies will be required at the time of the interview.