Patient Care Assistant, CNA - PRN/SupplementalBookmark This
18951 Memorial North
DescriptionBASIC FUNCTION: Position responsible for performing advanced indirect and selected direct patient care duties in support of the nursing process in a competent manner under the direction of an RN or LVN and for performing related clerical functions; responsible for performing Unit Clerk and phlebotomy duties as well as for serving as preceptor and resource to staff.
Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the patient served. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development as it relates to the different life cycles.
1. Certified as a Nursing Assistant by the Texas Department of Health OR at least 5 years work experience in an acute care hospital as a Nursing Assistant.
2. Ability to understand written instructions and perform basic mathematical calculations; demonstrates skills for assigned specialty area/function or assigned procedures.
3. Demonstrated ability to perform duties with increased responsibilities.
4. Ability to perform duties requiring prolonged standing, walking, stooping, bending, and lifting.
5. Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of "we advance health" through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
1. Delivers appropriate advanced indirect and selected direct patient care at a competent level as directed by a physician, registered nurse or licensed vocational nurse within the scope of hospital-approved PCA II skills inventory according to the needs/age of the patient/population served; collaborates with other members of the healthcare team to plan, expedite and promote quality patient care; employs critical thinking skills when identifying and responding to abnormal findings, reporting such to the nurse immediately; maintains simple drainage devices; takes patients' TPR and blood pressure, monitors intake and output, and maintains related records; performs skin preps and prepares patients for procedures as directed.
2. Assists patients with written teaching protocols; prepares patients for meals and feeds them; performs/assists with baths; assists patient in mobility; performs assigned treatments, as directed; maintains equipment and patient rooms in orderly fashion; performs assigned data entry via computer; serves as Unit Clerk and/or monitors patients as assigned.
3. Reports any changes in patient's condition to the patient's nurse or charge nurse.
4. Ensures safe care to patients adhering to policies/procedures/standards of care, within budgetary specifications, including time management, supply management, and accuracy of practice.
5. Promotes individual professional growth/development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education/skills competency; supports department goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor/mentor/resource to less experienced staff.