Product Development AnalystBookmark This
DescriptionDescription John Hancock Investments is the Investment team within the John Hancock Mutual Fund business unit responsible for building and maintaining the investment platforms for the Retirement Plan Services (RPS) and Mutual Fund divisions. The department has been a "Manager of Managers" for over 20 years, overseeing $150 billion in multi-manager assets. The team's responsibilities include researching new investment products, asset classes and investment managers, developing investment product solutions to enhance the Mutual Fund and RPS investment platforms, supporting investment-related sales and marketing efforts, investment manager due diligence and ongoing performance monitoring for the John Hancock Board of Trustees. The department is comprised of 50+ team members located in Boston and Asia. Reporting to the AVP, Product Development, the Product Development Analyst will assist with investment product development. The incumbent will research and analyze all aspects of John Hancock's investment product line. Responsibilities include:
- Responsible for managing investment product development initiatives including new manager searches, new asset class and product structure research, investment analysis and due diligence and marketing/sales support for new product launches
- Provide support for the Sr. Product Development Analysts as needed to manage the product development process successfully.
- Perform in-depth due diligence on prospective investment managers and portfolios including utilizing both qualitative and quantitative techniques. Frequent contact with asset managers required.
- Identify, evaluate, and report on industry, market, consultant and investment product trends, existing and emerging competitors and other factors affecting the business environment. Monitor internet news sites, industry publications and new prospectus filings for competitive information.
- Conduct in-depth research into new markets for new product introductions; create presentations for senior management to communicate findings and recommendations
- Develop internal network of contacts with wholesalers, marketing, fund administration and other teams. Encourage a flow of information to and from internal contacts to capture intelligence gathered in the field.
- Assist in the generation of new ideas and concepts for investment marketing material. Conduct research of economic and investment market trends to shape the creation of sales ideas and educational white papers.
- Assist Senior Management with their responsibilities related to the Boards of Trustees responsible for oversight of all subadvised mandates.
- Work with IMS Product Management to develop educational materials (sales ideas, presentations, etc.) on newly launched products.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS Degree and 5+ years experience in the financial services industry, including 2+ years product development experience.
- Background in investment product development/market research required with demonstrated experience in data analysis, financial analysis, and report preparation. Strong background in investments a must.
- Professional experience using Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and investment analysis software such as Morningstar Direct, Strategic Insight, eVestment required.
- Proven leadership/influence skills. Ability to prioritize work and juggle multiple projects with minimal direct supervision and meet deadlines. Ability to take responsibility and be accountable for the success of assigned material.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of company, including senior management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the investment marketplace, industry trends, asset managers, mutual funds, variable annuities, 401(k) and variable insurance.