Publications Internship - Spring 2014Bookmark This
Pulmonary Hypertension Association
801 Roeder Road Suite 1000
Silver Spring, MD
DescriptionThe Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) is a fast-growing association of patients, family members and medical professionals dedicated to finding a way to prevent and cure pulmonary hypertension (PH). PHA is committed to maintaining the organization’s volunteer spirit and to building opportunities for those affected by PH to be involved in solutions to the challenges the illness creates.
The Publications Internship offers students and recent graduates a structured experience working with PHA’s staff and constituents in producing quality print and web material and furthering PHA’s outreach to the community. The intern will work with PHA’s Associate Director of Publications to coordinate print projects with various vendors and to craft and prepare stories for publication in Pathlight, PHA’s quarterly newsletter, and PHANews, PHA's biweekly e-newsletter. PHA is committed to serving as and promoting the voice of the PH community, and this intern will help us to strengthen that commitment.
This is a flexible 3 to 6 month internship (15 hr/week minimum). Interns will be paid a modest stipend and a transportation subsidy. Interns may also earn college credit. Our office is located in downtown Silver Spring, Md., and is Metro accessible.
How to Apply:
Materials should include a cover letter explaining your interest in working for PHA, a resume and a 3-6 page writing sample. Cover letters should be addressed to Megan Mallory, Director of Publications. Applications are ONLY accepted through PHA's online Internship Application Form (http://www.phassociation.org/internships/apply).
• Serve as a reporter, working with staff to identify stories, interview community members and write articles for print and web publications
• Assist in writing and editing a variety of PHA print materials
• Assist in coordinating print projects, including collecting print bids and updating inventory
• Assist with layout and design of various PHA print materials, including Pathlight
• Assist in compiling and preparing PHANews for emailing on a biweekly basis
• Possess strong oral and writing skills, as well as the ability to work well with a team
• Have an interest in journalism, writing and editing; familiarity with AP style a plus
• Have excellent computer skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and the programs of the Adobe Creative Suite
• Have excellent attention to detail and be able to make and meet deadlines
• Be comfortable interviewing constituents for stories and collaborating with volunteers on ongoing projects
• Be motivated, highly organized and personable.
• Demonstrate initiative and be goal-oriented
• Be able to think creatively and strategically, as well as multi-task
• Be able to organize information and document research for future reporting
• Be prepared to work in a fast-paced, professional office setting