RESEARCH SCIENTIST-Metabolic AnalystBookmark This
Houston Methodist Research Institute
6670 Bertner Ave
M - F
Research - Clinical
Houston Methodist Research Institute was formed in 2004 to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The research institute was created to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors, and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 440,000 square foot building dedicated to research, the research institute houses over 1,150 staff members, 270 principal investigators and has more than 600 ongoing clinical trials.
The overall aim of the research group at Houston Methodist Kenneth R. Peak Brain and Pituitary Tumor Treatment Center is to develop high throughput analysis on primary brain cancer cells, quickly develop therapeutic strategies in vitro, and advise a clinical team as to the sensitivity of tumor cells to a range of therapeutic drugs.
The role of the Research Scientist is to assess and evaluate the metabolic changes in different brain cancer cells, with respect to normal human astrocytes and human cortical neurons. The ability to interrogate the major mitochondrial and non-mitochondrial bioenergetics of cultured cells will form one basis for future therapeutic intervention. The ultimate aim is to rapidly characterize the altered metabolism of individual primary cultures of cancer cells during treatment.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participates in grant writing
- Participates in writing manuscripts and publications
- Defines problems and possible solutions as dictated by the research project. (EF)
- Establishes procedures to be applied for projects. (EF)
- Designs, develops, or adapts equipment used in experiments or research to obtain desired results. (EF)
- Under the direction of a Principal Investigator, coordinates and provides technical direction to the work activities of research staff engaged in projects. (EF)
- Performs and supervises those procedures which require a highly developed technical skill. (EF)
- Analyzes data and interprets data. (EF)
- Compiles, writes, and submits project results to the principle investigator. (EF)
- Reviews scientific literature. (EF)
- Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement.
- Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Completes all hospital required and job-related in-services and applies the information s needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
A relevant PhD with expertise in molecular biology, genomics, biochemistry, bioenergetics, and some postdoctoral experience is desirable.
Experience in the field of stem cell biology, oncology, drug discovery, or translational research is desired.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a demonstrable talent for strategic thinking and excellent team working skills.
Standard laboratory environment; Some assignments may be in hospital units with typical hospital environmental hazards and concerns.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Methodist is firmly bound. Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Methodist on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, physical or mental disability, medical condition, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, genetic information or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran .