Refugee Housing InternshipBookmark This
Church World Service Greensboro
620 S. Elm Street, Suite 315
DescriptionOrganization: Church World Service Greensboro Immigration and Refugee Program (CWS)
Internship Title: Refugee Housing Intern
Experience/Background: Volunteer/work experience at nonprofit agency preferred
Volunteer Position Location: Greensboro, NC
Commitment: Must be able to commit to one full day a week (usually 8 hours) for 4 months. In addition, you must commit to 1-2 more hours a week planning and meeting with staff members.
Church World Service opened its doors in Greensboro in March 2009 to provide support and services to help newly arrived refugees build lives in peace and dignity in Guilford County. Partnering with more than 150 volunteers and faith communities, CWS provides basic needs and emergency assistance, integration and referral services, and job preparation and placement support to ensure that refugees have the tools they need to become self-sufficient as quickly as possible.
Intern Job Description:
The Refugee Housing intern will have the opportunity to learn and experience in the areas of research and development, community awareness, maintaining databases, housing systems, comparative analysis, management, volunteer supervision, and overall understanding of how a refugee resettlement agency works. They will work primarily with the Furniture Coordinator, but will have some interaction with other staff members.
• Weekly check in with Furniture Coordinator for list of learning goals/assignments
• Overseeing furniture moves and helping coordinate with the tools provided
• Help keep a running account of items in storage/and donations received
Short Term Projects:
• Brainstorm/research solutions to ongoing difficulties with job
• Help plan and coordinate moves in advance with the Elizabeth Swing
• Advertise for and help coordinate furniture drives with various community organizations
Long Term Projects:
• Research and compile database in conjunction with Elizabeth Swing that assesses the best sourcing options for each household item.
• Aid in creating a more functional and flexible system in conjunction with Stephanie Adams that continually sources the best housing options for our clients
• Help source better options for a storage facility