Social Media InternshipBookmark This
205 N Michigan Ave, Suite 2540
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: Part-time, Unpaid
DescriptionNiagara Foundation is a non-profit organization founded in Chicago in 2004 currently with branches in Michigan, Missouri, Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. The foundation is committed to building global bridges locally by convening dialogue that fosters understanding, respect, and acceptance. Niagara Foundation envisions a community in which people from all walks of life interact with each other and cooperate to serve their communities, thereby strengthening civil society and promoting the development of shared human values.
Internship opportunities are available every quarter/semester for students who wish to participate in a learning environment where he or she will gain work experience for the future. The social media intern is essentially an “intelligence gatherer” for all of Niagara’s social media platforms. He or she will work with the Director of the Communications to research topics and will post content related to Niagara events and international affairs.
ResponsibilitiesResponsibilities include: researching and posting for social media, researching for blog, contacting Niagara members for interviews and research, and using multimedia for web campaigns. This is an excellent opportunity for journalism students to build a stronger web presence and strengthen their ability to pitch, research and edit. Additionally, interns will be encouraged to participate in brainstorming and developing new programs and initiatives.
• Must be an undergraduate/graduate student or recent graduate
• Must be able to commit at least 12 hours a week for 12 weeks in the office
• Ability to respectfully communicate and work with diverse community groups varying in age, religion, denomination, and ethnicity
• Ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines
• Ability to process and protect confidential information
• Ability to work in a team-driven environment.
• Have excellent verbal, interpersonal skills
• Strong writing skills and working knowledge of AP style are required
• An established social media presence is preferred
*Note: This internship application requires a writing sample – journalistic or research-based.
• Pursuing a degree in Journalism, Communications, International Studies, Political Science or other related fields
• Curiosity and ability to quickly absorb information related to international affairs
• Experience working with multiple media, i.e. video editing, photography, podcasting is desirable, but not required
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to work in a demanding, fast-paced environment
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.