Staff Engineer - Internet of Things IoTBookmark This
Palo Alto, CA
Staff Engineer - Internet of Things IoT
Join a team at VMware who are responsible for exploration of the Internet of Things. We will build prototype solutions, conduct performance experiments, and interact closely with partners and customers on future features and enhancements.
This position offers the opportunity to materially shape the future of the Internet by driving the architecture, scope, and rollout of the ‘Internet of Things', i.e., the integration of sensor data (from consumer and industrial sources) with cloud computing.
As a key technical contributor you will play an important role in making this happen.
Role and Responsibilities
* Design and prototype a cloud-based end-to-end solution for sensor devices using VMware products, third-party technology, and custom code.
* Provide technical guidance and support in conjunction with VMware partner enablement personnel to foster integrations between IoT middleware offerings and VMware's industry-leading virtualization and cloud platforms
* Provide feedback and guidance to VMware R&D regarding future product enhancements needed to fully address IoT customer, partner, and provider technical requirements
* Experience architecting, coding, and deploying, software applications in one or more of: low-level embedded applications; communications systems; web-based applications; or cloud-based applications.
* Experience or familiarity with Internet of Things Architectures
* Experience or familiarity with network APIs (wired, wireless – or both)
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Proven track record as a self-directed, energetic, individual contributor
* Advanced degree in Computer Science or a related discipline
**Why work for our Division**
VMware’s world-class, award-winning R&D team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the R&D team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. R&D team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has R&D offices in: Silicon Valley; Burlington, MA; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China.
Palo Alto, CA, US
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable businesses to thrive in the Cloud Era. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and policy-driven automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data center to the virtual workplace, empowering customers with solutions in the software-defined data center to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace.
With 2013 revenues of $5.21 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers, 55,000 partners, and 14,000+ employees in 50+ locations around the world. At the core of what we do are our employees who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Want to be part of a compassionate community that thrives on architecting what’s next in IT? Learn more at vmware.com/careers.
VMware is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include: recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, layoff or termination. VMware does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. VMware also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law. Further, it is the policy of VMware to maintain a working environment free of all forms of harassment.
**Is this a remote or multiple location position?**
**LinkedIn Recruiter Account Email**
**Level of Job**