Strategic Initiatives Impact Investments Intern (65-557)Bookmark This
875 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA
Kiva.org was founded upon the fundamental principle that connecting people through lending can help alleviate poverty. To ensure that it succeeds, the company, along with its user base, provides borrowers with the seed capital needed to generate income, and thereby live a life of sustainability and independence. So far, this approach has enabled Kiva to raise $437 million in loans for 1,051,000+ entrepreneurs in 68 countries, momentum which it looks to continue in the coming years as it positions itself to achieve $1 billion in loans across a variety of sectors by 2015.
Kiva's Strategic Initiatives Impact Investment Intern Role:
Kiva’s Department of Strategic Initiatives (DSI) seeks an intern to help manage Kiva’s growing portfolio of non-MFI partners. As a DSI intern you will work with a small team to identify and assess a wide range of organizations, from nonprofits to social enterprises, that operate in areas of impact (such as health, water and sanitation, renewable energy, and higher education) and which could benefit from partnering with Kiva. You will also be responsible for assisting the Department in preparing reports and presentations for Kiva’s staff and management on opportunities in these fields. This is an ideal position for someone with a background in business, accounting, or finance who is looking to gain experience in impact investing/lending.
This is an unpaid internship.
Description of Key Responsibilities, That would Include but not be Limited to:
1) Explore Potential of leads for “non-MFI” Partners
Explore potential leads for non-MFI partners. Conduct online research of potential organizations, host exploratory calls, and analyze how different types of potential partners could benefit from Kiva funding. Based on this analysis, provide recommendations to the Director of Strategic Initiatives.
2) Contribute to Investment Memos
Contribute to the content of Kiva’s Investment Memos for non-MFI partners, including write-ups on the market context, product analysis, reviewing business plans, assessing management and board capacity, etc.
3) Provide general support to the Strategic Initiatives team
Potential projects could include loan product analysis, online research, support to Strategic Initiatives fellows in the field, and some administrative work.
- Degree in Business, Finance, International Development or Economics
- Strong Interest in Impact Investing
- Analytical Thinker, with ability to assess business plans, financial health, etc
- Research or Field Experience in bringing product solutions to BoP customers desired
- Highly organized with an aptitude for working in a start-up environment. This means being able to take on multiple projects, work independently, manage your time to meet deadlines
- Value for Microfinance and Kiva’s Mission
- Excellent Writing Skills
- Language Skills: Spanish or French desirable
- Programs: Excel, Google Docs, PowerPoint, MS Office.
- Must have your own computer to use at Kiva.
- Casual work environment
- Opportunity to join the team of the world's first online person-to-person lending platform
- References gladly given for successful participants
Resume and cover letter required. Please specify your availability in the cover letter.