Summer 2014 - Elementary Academic Teacher (Brooklyn K-5)Bookmark This
New York, NY
SummerElementary Academic Teacher
BELL (Building Educated Leaders for Life) is a nonprofit organization that partners with schools to expand learning time for struggling students in grades K-8. Our summer and after school programs combine rigorous academic instruction, social and cultural enrichment, and parent and community engagement. At BELL, students gain the academic skills, self-confidence, and determination they need to succeed in school and in life. Because we recognize the extraordinary potential of all children, we recognize them as scholars.
BELLs approach is powerful and transformative for scholars, families, and schools. Research shows that expanded learning time – particularly in the summer – is one of the most effective strategies for boosting student achievement and eliminating opportunity and achievement gaps. BELL works closely with parents, teachers, and principals to target students in under-resourced schools who need more time for learning the most. Our team of educators delivers data-driven instruction aligned to in-school learning. Hands-on enrichment courses in the sciences, creative arts, and leadership and character development, coupled with field trips and service projects, reinforce academic skills and inspire scholars to pursue future college and career goals.
BELL is currently serving 15,000 scholars in partnership with 98 schools across eight states. We are pursuing an ambitious growth plan to reach even more scholars, schools, and communities. We have earned recognition as an exemplary nonprofit organization by the Social Innovation Fund at the Corporation for National and Community Service, as a Social Capitalist Award winner by Fast Company Magazine, and as a member of the SI 100, the nations first index of top-performing nonprofits.
Join our Team
Do you believe that all children have extraordinary potential – that all children can be scholars? Do you want to work with educators who share your belief, and who are committed to delivering the best learning experiences possible for the scholars who need them most? BELL is the place for you! Join BELL to teach, enrich, inspire, and transform children into scholars.
BELL is a growing, mission-driven organization with a strong commitment to serving scholars, families, and schools. Our talented and diverse team is comprised of individuals with a variety of backgrounds who share BELLs mission and who work tirelessly to see it through. We seek qualified, driven, and dedicated individuals to join our team.
Work with BELL and change the world, one scholar at a time.
- Implementing literacy andmath curricula and activities to meet academic standards
- Utilizing formal assessment data to refine and adapt curriculum lessons and inform instructional practices
- Developing daily engaging lesson plans aligned to specific learning objectives
- Delivering relevant, engaging, and rigorous lessons utilizing a variety of instructional methods
- Maintaining an organized and efficient classroom
- Adhering to all BELL and district professional expectations and compliance issues
- Creating a positive, achievement-oriented, organized and engaging learning environment
- Motivating and holding scholars tohigh academic and behavioral expectations
- Providing consistent rewards and/or consequences for scholar behavior grounded in positive discipline
- Empowering scholars to make positive choices and serving as a role model
- Being accountable for meeting scholars individual academic and instructional needs
- Implementing collaborative and co-teaching instructional strategies with BELL tutors
- Communicating effectively with scholars, families, BELL staff, and host school staff
- Compliance with all BELL and/or district professional development requirements
- Bachelors degree is required. Masters degree is preferred.
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school with elementary aged children.
- Valid teaching certification in the state you wish to teach
- Previous and relevant experience in utilizing and implementing data-driven instructional practices
- Experience in the use of technology (computer/internet) for assessment and instruction
- Knowledge of differentiated instructional practices and strategies
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of scholars within their community
- Proven track-record of high achievement in a classroom setting
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for literacey and math academic standards and instructional rigor
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Committed to the goals of the program and approach
- Love and respect for children
- Evidence of efficacy and willingness to be a team player
- Belief and commitment to BELLs mission and values
This is a seasonal position and will not be eligible for benefits.,