Summer Academy Site InternBookmark This
Save Our Youth
3443 W. 23rd Ave
Application Deadline: May 28, 2013
Position: 20 Full-time, Unpaid
Timeframe: 05/29/13 — 07/29/13 (Flexible)
Save Our Youth
Internship Position – Summer Academy Intern
SOY is looking for enthusiastic and motivated interns with a sincere interest to work with at risk youth for their educational development and remediation. Applicants should have upstanding moral character, basic understanding of computers and working online and have adequate personal transportation. An intern needs to be a person who wants to make a difference in the lives of young men and women by helping them achieve academic success where struggle and failure has been the norm.
Please view our intern video at www.facebook.com/saveouryouth to hear the perspectives of previous interns.
• Save Our Youth (SOY) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, dedicated to transforming the lives of at-risk youth through mentor relationships, that provide the skills for success in educational, emotional, and spiritual development.
• SOY provides a Summer Academy to remediate students in language arts and math. SOY Summer Academies use online educational software. Academies run from 8am-2pm, each student spends 3-4 hours on the academic recovery skills and spends part of the day in life skills enrichment to enhance their educational experience. Interns are part of a larger group of 20+ interns who oversee 8-10 academic sites. Energy and motivation of the staff and the intern team are essential to the success of the Summer Academies.
Summer interns are key to the success of each academy. Their emotional and spiritual engagement and involvement set the tone for how much students will accomplish. Interns report to the Academy Site Manager in their administration of the academy in the following areas:
• Oversight of the online software
• Track student’s progress and attendance
• Assist students in math and language arts
• Oversight of all program logistics
• Provide classroom management
• Responsible for the spiritual and emotional development of the students
• Training in “Why Try” curriculum (a motivational positive change curriculum)
• Work in teams of 2-3 interns per academy to oversee the online curriculum (www.childu.com) in math and language arts, while assisting students to work in a self-paced, computer based learning program
• Participate in weekly debrief sessions to brainstorm, plan and trouble shoot the Summer Academy
• Develop and lead motivational talks and life skill and enrichment activities
• Coach a small group of students through the Summer Academy
• Send a mid-summer donor report to all the intern’s financial supporters
• Summer Academy Internship is an unpaid position with the option to raise funds through SOY to cover their income costs. SOY will coach the Intern through the process
• All funds raised will be returned back to the intern as “salary”, only income taxes will be deducted from raised finances.
• Successful passing of the Language Arts and Math assessment exam
• Completion of the DISC (Personality) Assessment. This assessment helps to gain self knowledge and team building knowledge
• Attend mandatory 3 day pre-academy training for team building and adequate mentee culture preparation