Track LaborerBookmark This
Trans-Global Solutions, Inc.
11811 I-10 East, Suite 630
DescriptionSummary: Repair and rebuild railroad track, using hand tools to do so. The track laborer removes and replaces track components (e.g. rails, ties, bars, etc.) by performing the following duties.
Typical duties will include but not be limited to the preparation and/or modification of the following:
* Lifting cross-ties, swinging spike mauls, shoveling, picking ballast, tightening nuts and bolts, lining track with lining bars, tamping by hand, adjusting switches by clips, switch maintenance by greasing or oil switch mechanism.
* Other duties as assigned.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
* Sets up, inspects and maintains equipment used for tank maintenance operations.
* Installs, removes, aligns, maintains and repairs rails, ties, ballast, switches, frogs, joints, and other parts of railroad tracks and roadbeds, using hand operated power tools and other manually operated equipment.
* Removes and replaces rail ties.
* Pulls and drives spikes
* Shovels rock ballast for rail bed maintenance/repair.
* Loads and unloads equipment and material used in new track installation or old track maintenance.
* Laborer will lift and carry track material, cut brush, trees, and vegetation, and clear the right-of-way of litter and other cargo spillage.
* This position requires the ability to perform heavy physical labor on a continuous basis.
* Must be willing to work overtime hours during the week and/or weekends as dictated by operations.
* This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
RequirementsSkills and Special Requirements:
* Knowledge and skills in applying FRA regulations, guidelines and rules.
* Ability to read and comprehend safety rules, procedure and safety manuals, government regulations, operating and maintenance instructions, memos and other work-related information.
* Ability to talk and effectively communicate with co-workers, yard personnel, switching crew, engineers, railroad officials, and others in a clear concise, courteous, efficient and professional manner.
* Ability to pass training and required testing.
* Ability to think and act quickly in responding to emergency and non-emergency situations.
Education and/or Experience:
* Less than high school education; or up to one month related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
* Must possess and maintain a valid motor vehicle operator’s driver license and have the willingness to use personal and/or company vehicle in the course of employment. Must possess Safety training/certification as required by customers to work in their facilities and as required by TGS at all TGS locations.
* The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. Works continuously with shovels, rakes and other hand tools moving material in performance of new construction or maintenance operations. Walks/stands continuously in performance of rail maintenance duties. The employee is occasionally required to stand, sit, and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus
* The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; extreme heat; and risk of electrical shock. * The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
* This position is primarily as a general labor. However, the employee may be requested to perform multiple or other duties.