UNU-ViE/SCIENTIA- Africa Roadmap Initiative/2010/10Bookmark This
United Nations University-Vice Rectorate in Europe
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: Full-time, Unpaid
DescriptionThe UNITED NATIONS UNIVERSITY Vice Rectorate in Europe (UNU-ViE) is an integral part of the Rector's office and the first Vice Rectorate of UNU outside the headquarters in Tokyo, Japan. Established in May 2007 in Bonn, UNU-ViE strengthens the presence of UNU in Europe. The United Nations University plays a strategic role in Africa as a facilitator of dialogue, a capacity builder, a provider of postgraduate training, and a promoter of innovation. UNU activities in and on Africa aim to foster knowledge creation with a strong emphasis on home-grown and participatory “made-to-fit” solutions linked to UNU’s continuing efforts to promote endogenous capacity development.
For more information regarding UNU-ViE, please visit our website, www.vie.unu.edu.
Following the strategic objectives of UNU 2009-2012, UNU-ViE supports the implementation of the Roadmap Initiative for Africa pursuing the goal to make UNU activities in and on Africa of greater relevance to the African continent and its people, the United Nations organizations and UNU end-users.
The successful candidate will be based at UNU-ViE in Bonn on a full-time basis (35 or 40 hours per week)for a contractual period ranging between 3-6 months. The internship is not remunerated. Next to a set of interesting and unique tasks, we offer you insights into the structure and functioning of the United Nations University. Your internship at the Vice Rectorate in Europe gives you the opportunity to collect work experience in a multi-cultural work environment.
As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their application, preferably by e-mail, and must include the
· Curriculum Vitae in English;
· Cover letter in English:
outlining your motivations, possible contributions to the programme and future career goals;
· Completed UNU-ViE application form (downloadable at: http://www.vie.unu.edu/article/read/aboutthe-
internship-programme, under Working Conditions);
· Two letters of recommendation.
For more information about the UNU-ViE internship programme, please visit the website
For more information about the application procedure, please visit
Suitably qualified women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Unsuccessful applications can neither be acknowledged nor returned.
Responsibilities· assist UNU staff in drafting and reviewing concept documents, meeting minutes, and all related
communication in the framework of the project Africa Roadmap Initiative
· assist UNU staff in analyzing past activities of UNU institutes with a focus on Africa (capacity
development, research, fellowships, publications, etc.)
· support the organization of events, including logistical arrangements;
· assist UNU staff in all necessary academic and/or administrative tasks as the needs arise.
RequirementsProfile and Qualifications:
· Field of Study: International Relations, International Development, Political Science or related field;
· Excellent command of English; other languages, such as German or French will be considered an asset;
· Ability to work productively and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
· Computer software skills (e.g. MS Office, particularly Excel).