Underwriter Trainee - Seattle, WA - Safeco InsuranceBookmark This
Liberty Mutual Insurance
DescriptionDescription Launchyour Underwriting career at Safeco Insurance, a member of Liberty Mutual - A Fortune 100 Company! As a Personal Insurance Underwriter Trainee, you will put your analytical and decision-making skills to work in order to fulfill Liberty Mutuals mission of helping people live safer, more secure lives.Our underwritersfocus on answering two fundamental questions: Does this customer qualify for one of our markets? Can we get the appropriate rate for the risk? You will rely on your strong analytic, communication, and negotiation skills and thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. Underwriters are natural problem solvers who want to know our customers and how we can profitably accept the risks that our policies cover. Our underwriting training positions offer you the chance to build on your academicsuccess and developrisk selection and decision-making skills that canadvance your career! Responsibilities:
- Successfully completes underwriter training program and prescribed courses, which include: on-the-job training; classroom instruction; self-study; case studies; and underwriting activities.
- Exercises judgment to accept, reject, or modify new/renewal business for all personal lines (with guidance and direction as needed) to ensure a profitable book of business.
- Responsible for learning how to manage a field of agents to achieve Company growth and profitability targets. Develops on-going relationships with agents, conducts outbound calls with agents to discuss market appetite, quality of submissions and encourage profitable growth.
- Develops knowledge and expertise regarding policy contracts and coverages, agency relationships, underwriting guidelines, processes and procedures, desk management, and corporate strategy.
- Works with in-house and outside educational providers to develop knowledge and experience in: underwriting techniques; decision-making; problem-solving; sales and negotiating skills; agency management and relationship building skills. Continued proficiency is developed by working assigned referral lists, based on demonstrated abilities and knowledge.