Vision Health Program and Communication InternshipBookmark This
Prevent Blindness Texas
DescriptionPrevent Blindness Texas is the leading nonprofit in providing vision education, resources, and volunteers to the state. We develop partnerships with local agencies, schools, and businesses to provide resources to the community at no cost. These include educational and training programs, certification programs, vision screenings, and informational pieces distributed to local agencies.
Prevent Blindness Texas also works closely with state and local governments to advocate change in vision care policies for the benefit of the community, and we provide services to low-income families and individuals who would otherwise not have access vision care.
Responsibilities• Receive certification as a vision screener, training in vision health educational programs, and become adept at operating vision screening devices.
• Work alongside state program staff to develop partnerships and programs to address community needs.
• Present vision health information to other students and adults in professional settings.
• Aid in recruiting, training, and supervising volunteers.
• Research and help develop sustainable vision care resources.
• Manage media releases and write copy for regional events.
• Prepare tool kits and packages for area fundraisers, and designing and staffing informational booths.
• Solicit donations and manage volunteers for yearly fundraising events, including Golf Tournament, Light the Night for Sight Walkathon, and Eye Ball Gala.
Requirements• Prefer student with experience and/or education in health, nonprofits, public relations, communications, eye health, or social work [Not Required].
• Perform well in environment that values compassion, patience, and resourcefulness.
• Must be flexible and passionate.