Volunteer AssistantBookmark This
Police Athletic League/ New York
34 1/2 East 12th Street
New York, NY
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: 2 Part-time, Unpaid
DescriptionThe Volunteer Assistant will benefit greatly from his/her role serving as a liaison to the Training and Volunteer Services Department. The VA will possess a strong leadership role in the agency working alongside Americorps volunteer educators as they engage 200 youth from PAL Beacon programming in a community service learning project. In addition, the VA will assist the Volunteer Coordinator and Director of Training and Volunteer Services in identifying outstanding volunteers for leadership roles within the agency.
• Provide assistance to the Volunteer Coordinator in building a service oriented culture throughout the organization by recruiting volunteers from multiple sources and recommend assignments that will make the best use of individual talents;
• Conducts program site visits to monitor volunteer success;
• Ensures compliance and maintains records of all paperwork for volunteers (applications, SCR clearances, assignments, etc);
• Maintains contacts in the community and public/private sectors in order to implement volunteer strategies;
• Assists in planning and implementation of volunteer recognition events and activities.
• Serve as service project team leader for annual Martin Luther King Jr. Beacon Service Day.
RequirementsThe Volunteer Assistant will need to serve one semester with the Training and Volunteer Services Department located at PAL Headquarters, 34 ½ East 12th Street, New York, NY 10003. The Volunteer Assistant can set his/her schedule Monday – Friday serving within the timeframe of 9 am – 5 pm. Some flexibility needed for special events.
Qualifications and skills
• Pursuing an undergraduate/graduate degree in Communications, Journalism, Sociology, Urban Planning, Political Science, Not-for-Management or, Education.
• Demonstrated self-motivation and strong work ethic
• Ability to contribute in a team environment
• Comfortable in a fast-paced environment and dealing with ambiguity
• Creative thinker
• Strong computer skills
• Strong verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills