Volunteer Coordination InternshipBookmark This
International Rescue Committee
2305 Parklake Drive, Suite 100
DescriptionBACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC in Atlanta office was established in 1979 and has resettled over 21,000 refugees from nearly 50 countries into the Greater Atlanta area. As the largest refugee resettlement agency in Georgia, the IRC in Atlanta resettles an average of 800 refugees into Georgia annually and provides additional services and assistance to another 1,500 refugees and asylees.
The volunteer coordination intern works with the volunteer coordinator in the resource development department to establish strong, mutually beneficial connections between the community and the IRC Atlanta office in order to garner monetary, in-kind and volunteer resources for refugee clients.
This position requires a minimum of 15 hours a week for at least three months.
Responsibilities• Help refugee clients to receive in-kind goods via the Resettlement Shop
• Receive and organize in-kind donations
• Track in-kind donations in both donor database and client files
• Assist with outreach and recruitment efforts to community groups, students, and other organizations
• Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to update client files with volunteer and resources information
• Update volunteer database
• Assist with activities related to volunteer recruitment, training, and retention including matching mentors with client families, and coordinating intern brown bags, volunteer appreciation events, and workshops
For more information or to apply, please contact Jessica Seales, Volunteer Coordinator, at VolunteerATL@Rescue.org or 678-636-8928. To learn more about us, please visit the IRC website at www.Rescue.org/Atlanta
Requirements• An interest in international and refugee issues
• Effective communication and writing skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Excellent organizational skills
• Creativity and initiative to follow through on projects
• A strong desire to help people and enthusiasm to work in a multi-cultural setting
• Prior experience in a non-profit setting a plus