Center for Human Rights and Constitutional Law
256 S. Occidental Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA
DescriptionThe Center for Human Rights and Constitutional Law (CHRCL) is a Los Angeles non-profit organization that focuses its work on the civil and human rights of insular minorities and vulnerable communities.
The Center initiates and conducts impact class action litigation, provides technical support to other providers of legal services, and engages in advocacy work on selected issues impacting low-income groups with legal injuries.
CHRCL is currently seeking individuals who are committed to creating significant social change in advocating for human rights. We have several projects that volunteers can be a significant role in.
1. Defense of Marriage Act: This project is a civil rights case, seeking to have equal rights for Gay/Lesbian couples. Volunteers are needed to do significant research, outreach and dissemination of procedures.
2. Immigration Cases: This project is a continuation of CHRCL’s longstanding pursuit of providing legal status for individuals with over 30 years of residency in the U.S. Volunteers are needed to review client cases, maintain case information and do community outreach.
3. Prisoners in Solitary Confinement: This project is an ongoing case pursuing proper treatment of prisoners unjustly held in solitary confinement. Volunteers are needed to review prisoner cases, maintain case information and research.
4. Casa Libre Support: CHRCL founded a home for homeless youth. The home also provides a safe haven for children whose parents have been deported. Volunteers are needed to provide general support for the home, assist with fundraising efforts, and community outreach to provide a higher level of care.
5. CHRCL General Support: You can assist us with our daily operations so we can increase our level of support for vulnerable communities. Volunteers are needed for office duties, research, fundraising efforts, and a variety of ad hoc projects.
CHRCL understands that volunteering is a combination of desire and availability. This is why we have tailored our volunteer opportunities to be significant, valuable and flexible. Some of our projects can be done remotely, and on your schedule, all we ask is you contact us so we can find the best opportunity for you to make a change.