- Internships /
- Milieu Residence Counselor
Milieu Residence CounselorBookmark This
Cardinal McCloskey Community Services
Posted: November 15 2016
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
Located in Ossining, NY our home provides a safe haven for youth in our Hayden Emergency & Diagnostic Residential Center and the Horizons of Hope Program.
Our Hayden Emergency & Diagnostic Center provides temporary care for youth under the custody of Westchester or neighboring Department of Social Service until suitable and safe living arrangements are made. Once at Hayden House, the youth, generally between the ages of eight and eighteen, receives a total diagnostic evaluation and a comprehensive discharge care plan. Youth stay in our home varies dependent on their needs and discharge plan.The Horizons of Hope (HOH) Program services unaccompanied children generally from Central America, ages six through seventeen, who are in the custody of the federal government’s Office of Refugee Resettlement. While in our care, we help youth experience a reduction in trauma symptoms and achieve a greater sense of stability and well-being through engagement in the supportive group home environment. Youth receive on site education, all needed medical and mental health treatment, legal advocacy, recreation, acculturation and social activities. CMCS facilitates safe and timely reunification and release of youth with family members or approved sponsors, after a limited period in the shelter.
POSITION: The Milieu Residential Counselor (MRC) is responsible to protect and advocate for the rights of all youth residing in the our home/shelter while ensuring a safe, culturally sensitive, and nurturing environment. This requires engaging with youth through a strength based and trauma sensitive approach to supervise their daily living skills.. The MRC is further responsible for knowing, implementing and adhering to the policies and procedures of the agency and program including the Agency's Mission, Vision, and Values Creed. The MRC position is available per diem, part time, or full time dependent on current programming. Administrators manage scheduling based on program coverage needs; over time is requested as needed.
- Maintain a clean, orderly and healthy environment for the residents
- Provide culturally and trauma sensitive counseling and guidance to the youth within the framework of their individual safety plan
- Effectively communicate with youth (individually and in a group setting) and provide direction and mentoring for their daily responsibilities
- Implement trauma sensitive, behavioral support plans for Hayden youth and track their progress consistently
- Responsible for preparing, serving and supervision of daily meals and snacks as needed considering the dietary guidelines for each youth
- Appropriately supervise and support the daily living skills of the youth residing at the Hayden House including monitoring of the daily routines of the Program, I.E. wakeup, school attendance, recreation, laundry, etc.
- Lead and participate in weekly youth group sessions as designated by administrative personnel
- Ensure the youth’s medical needs through appropriate monitoring and transportation to and from medical appointments as needed
- Implement appropriate Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) skills during daily practice
- Supervise youth during the after school tutorial program and ensure maximal participation
- Plan and carry out cost-effective recreational outings for the youth on a daily basis
- Support youth to have an opportunity to attend religious services at their preferred place of worship
- Provide transportation, supervision and assistance for residents with clothes shopping to teach budgeting skills
- Shopping as necessary for the maintenance of the home including food and household supply shopping
- Document information in the daily logs
- Attend departmental/staff meetings and trainings as required by the program or at the request of administrative personnel
- Participate in relevant trainings that will aid in the MRC's career growth and enhance their daily practice as a Residential Counselor
- Timely documentation and processing of all critical incident reports that occur
- Assist in the preparation of all departmental reports
- Responsible for answering emergency calls, notification to appropriate personnel and documentation of emergency incidents
- Other tasks/responsibilities as deemed relevant and necessary by administrative staff
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION:
- High School Diploma/GED required, Associate's or Bachelor's Degree in Human Services preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
- Valid and clean NYS Driver's license is required.
- Good writing, organizational, and time management skills required
- Must be able to successfully complete the Therapeutic Crisis Intervention Course of Cornell University
- AMAP, TCI, and CPR-First Aid preferred
- Previous professional experience working with children and adolescents in a residential setting preferred
Cardinal McCloskey Community Services (CMCS) is committed to the practice of trauma-informed care in accordance with the tenets of Sanctuary through utilizing the SELF framework for Sanctuary practice and promulgating Sanctuary training and trauma-informed clinical treatment.
If you are interested in joining our team; Please fax resumes to HR Department at 914-741-0687 or call 914-997-8000 for further inquiries