- Internships /
- Project Accountant
Project AccountantBookmark This
Posted: November 15 2016
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
The Project Accountant is responsible for assisting the Construction Controller in executing all matters relating to the contract administration and accounting functions of Douglas Emmett Builders. This position includes administrative and accounting goals, working with other employees as necessary, and the follow-up required to ensure timely and accurate contract and financial reporting. This is a full-time position and reports to the Construction Controller. This position also works closely with the Director of Construction and Project Managers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. (Other duties may be assigned.)
- Assist the Construction Controller and Director of Construction with implementing practices and procedures, and completing reports as required.
- Set up Jobs and enter estimates into Project Management/Job Cost, as well as perform any project management administrative duties and responsibilities, such as:
- Process change orders
- Process receipts on Subcontract Orders for percentage completion
- Contract Invoicing
- Process Accounts Payable invoices and appropriate lien releases for payments under the subcontracts
- Code and process invoices to accurately reflect cost center income and expenses and general and administrative expenses in order to ensure accurate financial reporting.
- Comply with and enforce all governmental laws, policies and regulations.
- Ensure that all company policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Coordinate and communicate on a regular basis with the Vice President Accounting and Executive Vice President to advise of any anticipated problems in advance to be able to take corrective action on a proactive basis.
- Follow appropriate procedures for financial reporting, record keeping and documentation which maintains files in an orderly, accurate and current manner.
- Maintain all checking and savings accounts and reconcile daily and monthly. Submit the monthly reconciliation to the Vice President Accounting for approval.
- Maintain and increase knowledge in the Timberline accounting software for the construction industry as it relates directly to Douglas Emmett Builders.
- Stay current with industry changes and innovations which may affect the operations of Douglas Emmett Builders.
- Assist in completion of period end financial statements by the first day of the month of the following month.
- Ensure the confidentiality of all Company records and documents.
- Periodically review all vendors for compliance with insurance coverages, contractor license, business license and Form W-9.
- Promote and maintain a positive work environment that shows concern and respect of all employees, vendors and customers by providing excellent customer service to internal and external customers. Lead by example.
- Take any reasonable action necessary, within your authority, to carry out the responsibilities of the position in a manner that is ethical and conforms to sound business practices.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of accounting and financial reporting methods specific to the construction industry.
- Excellent communication skills - both oral and written.
- Support a positive work environment. Examples: lead by example, friendly and excellent communication skills both listening and speaking.
- Must have the ability to perform a variety of tasks simultaneously in an accurate and timely manner.
- Must be able to do business calculations; complete reports with statistical data and mathematical relationships; perform quickly and accurately all computations related to accounting.
- Degree in accounting or finance. Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of experience in the accounting industry. Accounting experience with a mid-size to large construction company is preferred.
- Must possess computer knowledge and experience with Timberline, Excel, Word and accounts payable and construction accounting program.
The Company's office portfolio includes 67 properties totaling approximately 17.7 million rentable square feet, and its multifamily portfolio consists of ten properties with a total of 3,336 units.
Douglas Emmett's properties are currently located in nine premier California submarkets - Brentwood, Century City,Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Olympic Corridor, Westwood, Sherman Oaks/Encino, Warner Center/Woodland Hills and Burbank - with a growing presence in Honolulu, Hawaii.