- Internships /
- Property Manager Assistant
Property Manager AssistantBookmark This
Northeast Brooklyn Housing Development Corp.
Posted: November 15 2016
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
Assistant Property Manager Summary
The Assistant Property Manager is responsible for working closely with the Director of Property Management in managing the day-to-day operations of the Property Management department. This position reports to the Director of Property Management (DPM) and Property Manager. The Assistant will also work closely with Zone Superintendents, Administrative Assistants, Director of Asset Management, Director of Real Estate Development, and the Fiscal Department.
Northeast Brooklyn Housing Development Corp (NEBHDCo) is one of the premier community development organizations in New York City with an extensive portfolio of affordable housing and commercial properties and operating a tandem of impactful community programs. Located in the Bedford Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn, a community rich in history and currently undergoing a dramatic renaissance, NEBHDCo is seeking out highly skilled and motivated professionals who wish to join a team that is literally building its future - brick, mortar, and precious lives – one day and one block at a time.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (Other duties may be assigned)
Assists with the day-to-day property management portfolio and tenant support services operations of all NEBHDCo developments.
Problem solves for daily operations.
Handles Tenant Relations.
Schedules maintenance repairs.
Performs apartment Inspections.
Communicates with Maintenance Staff, Fiscal staff, Funders, Lenders, Tenants and Housing and Social Service agencies.
Initiates and oversees all legal actions.
When on call, respond to calls as soon as possible either in-person or by phone.
Property Management Program Details:
Serves as the main point of contact for all tenants to deal with tenant complaints promptly and enforce community rules and regulations.
Receives and relays maintenance calls for portfolio to Maintenance Supervisor and or contractors.
Handles calls from vendors and tenants and resolve issues related to financials and tenant concerns.
Processes move-outs and evictions.
Serves as collection agent for unpaid rent due to NEBHDCo from tenants
Turns past due tenants over to the attorney, prepares paperwork for new legal cases; conducts follow up on all legal notices.
Prepares weekly & monthly reports not limited to vacancy, maintenance repair, legal status and arrears.
Conducts annual apartment inspections.
Picks up rental arrear payments from agencies, when necessary.
Maintain an open line of communication with the Accounting Department to resolve and research financial issues.
Communicates with the local Section 8 office in order to resolve rent payments and adjustments.
Assists with Section 8 inspections and scheduling repairs when needed.
Communicates with local authorities/precinct regarding issues that may arise related to tenants and/or properties.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Work Environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
Position Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Industry Related: Knowledge and experience with HUD, HPD, NYCHA and DHCR regulations is required. Tax Credit Specialist Certification and Assisted Housing Manager Certification a plus
- Communications Skills: Strong written and oral communications skills. Ability to communicate clearly and respectfully to a variety of people. Ability to listen and handle inquiries and complaints in timely and effective ways. Bi-lingual or an ability to speak Spanish is a plus.
- Computer and Other Technical Skills: A working knowledge of Section 8 regulations, Public Assistance, Shelter Allowance/Welfare Centers is required. Working knowledge of database software and spreadsheet software, including YARDI, Microsoft Office 9, and Acrobat.
- Leadership and Management Skills: Excellent organizational and leadership skills. A flexible management style and ability to work well under pressure is essential.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Planning/Organizing and Problem Solving: Ability to prioritize and plan work activities and use time efficiently. Ability to interact with tenants; and address, and solve problems in timely and effective ways. Ability to respond to emergencies when necessary. Ability to multi task in a high pressure setting.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to read and interpret documents such as operating procedures and company documents and apply reasonable understanding of how to carry our instructions or take other, appropriate action.
- Teamwork and Customer Relationships: Ability to contribute to a positive team spirit and support everyone's efforts to succeed. Ability to work independently within a team setting. A friendly and courteous approach towards residents and other employees and the ability to maintain solid working relationships with other staff members, tenants and customers are expected.
Education and Experience:
- This position requires an Associate’s Degree or equivalent in experience, training and certifications; BA/BS preferred.
- Candidate must have a minimum 3 years’ experience in property management.
35k – 45k Annually, Commensurate with experience
- Property Asset Management Dept. (PAMD)
FLSA StatusWork Hours:
- Exempt Full-Time
Northeast Brooklyn Housing Development Corporation (NEBHDCO) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace.
Health Benefits, 403B, Life Insurance is offered to employees. Vacation, Sick days, and Personal Days are also offered.