- Internships /
- Sous Chef
Sous ChefBookmark This
Posted: November 15 2016
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
Under the direction of the Executive Chef and Chef de Cuisine, the Sous Chef plans and supervises daily overall operation of a kitchen supporting specific venue or area of operation. Schedules, supervises, coordinates, trains and participates in all activities of subordinate cooks and other subordinate kitchen personnel. Responsible for planning, preparing and cooking of foods for all menu items for all occasions including special functions and holidays. Working with Executive Chef and Chefs de Cuisine, establishes menu forecasts based on customer counts or business forecasts, previous experience, dates and holidays.
1. Maintains and ensures that recipes, flavor profiles, consistency in quality, appearance and production time frames are adhered to for all menu/food items being produced and that all food items needed for production are available to staff.
2. Monitors and works with Venue Manager and/or Chef de Cuisine or Executive Chef to control all financial aspects of the kitchen operations of designated venue(s); including, but not limited to, food cost, labor cost and other expenses.
3. Ensures that all logs, requisitions and any other necessary paperwork is filled out and submitted in the proper form and time frame.
4. Works in conjunction with Venue Manager and/or Chef de Cuisine or Executive Chef to control all purchasing of food products and kitchen equipment.
5. Conducts monthly Inventory and works in conjunction with Venue Manager and/or Chef de Cuisine or Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Analyst to ensure proper financial closure of every month.
6. Performs periodic and annual performance reviews of all culinary hourly staff.
7. Schedules kitchen line staff within budgeted labor cost; approves vacation requests ensuring that staffing levels are still met.
8. Ensures safe working conditions are in place at all times for kitchen and food service staff; investigates and reports all employee injuries or accidents according to policy.
9. Monitors all kitchen areas to ensure Health Department, Casino, IHS, FDA and OSHA codes & policies are followed at all times; reports any violation(s) of codes and policies immediately upon discovery; participates in all IHS and all other inspections.
10. Maintains acceptable attendance record and arrive in designated kitchen at scheduled time, in proper uniform and ready to work
11. Performs job responsibilities and or tasks, deemed necessary by Executive Chef within the scope of this position and business needs of the department.
Work Experience Required: Minimum three (3) years’ experience working in a large hotel or similar Casino-type operation which includes high volume production, catering and multi-unit aspects as well as larger staff management at Sous Chef lever or above required. Management training and/or culinary education experience preferred.
Education: High School Diploma or GED required. Culinary degree from an accredited culinary institute required. College degree from an accredited culinary institute preferred.
Certificates/Licenses/Registrations: Must obtain and maintain a Food Handler’s or ServSafe Card and negative Tuberculosis (TB) test.
Other Requirements: Possess advanced knowledge of single unit culinary operations. Ability to handle high volume a la carte kitchen cooking, high volume catering/banquet production and expediting of food during peak periods of business in all stated areas. Must possess strong management skills; understand corrective counseling methods and how to properly document any issues that arise with staff. Must possess adequate skill level in hands–on training of staff. Must understand menu development techniques and development of recipes, plating guides and menu cards. Ability to operate and program point-of-sale system.
The Commerce Hotel & Casino is located in Los Angeles by the Citadel Outlets and offers a comprehensive benefits package to include medical, dental, vision, life, flexible spending accounts, 401(k), vacation time, and much more!