WNPR News Production Assistant, "Where We Live"Bookmark This
Connecticut Public Television
1049 Asylum Avenue
DescriptionAvailability: Positions are available year-round
Hours: 8-24 hours per week – Preferably available to work full day (8AM-4PM)
Supervisor: Radio News Director/Technical Director, "Where We Live"
Summary: Where We Live and The Colin McEnroe Show are daily news programs produced by WNPR/Connecticut Public Radio. These shows are interactive, combining interviews, listener calls, emails and social media. Topics include news issues, trends and the arts.
Training Offered: WNPR will provide training in website production, audio production, radio continuity and remote recording. Intern will observe and take part in live broadcasts. As the internship progresses, training in news production, feature writing and show production is also possible.
Responsibilities• Assist with screening phone calls during live broadcasts of Where We Live and The Colin McEnroe Show
• Research topics and help with web publishing
• Act as first point of contact for guests
• Assist with and gather “man on the street” interviews for produced segments of shows
• Attend regular show planning meetings and support the generation of show ideas
Requirements• Highly organized, self-starter, with an ability to work independently
• Must be able to arrive at work when scheduled, and meet deadlines as assigned
• Ability to work closely with others in a newsroom setting
• Practical experience or interest in news, radio and television
• Outgoing personality, with a willingness to ask questions of newsmakers, and discuss topics with guests and callers
• Ability to learn basics of radio production
• An understanding of the public radio mission
• A vehicle is preferred
• Candidates should be pursuing a career or course of study related to Communications or Journalism, however, other majors and interests will be considered
• Candidates must be computer literate and possess keyboard/typing skills