Youth Channel Production InternshipBookmark This
MNN El Barrio Firehouse Community Media Center
715 East 104th Street
DescriptionThe Youth Channel (YC) is offering internship opportunities to develop television programming at the MNN El Barrio Firehouse Community Media Center alongside the Manager of Youth Programs. Interns will participate in all stages of the production process (pre-production, production, and editing) and be responsible for developing 28 minute-long bi-weekly segments to be aired on MNN’s Community and Culture channels. This yearlong internship program requires a minimum commitment of 10 hours a week. Upon completing the program, interns can reapply to continue as producers with the Youth Channel. All interns receive training to become certified producers. This is an unpaid internship. This is an excellent opportunity to experience working in a fast-paced production studio for students who are interested in pursuing careers in film and broadcast journalism.
The Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN) was founded in 1992 and is New York City’s free, public access cable network. MNN operates four channels (Community, Lifestyle, Spirit, and Culture) reaching 620,000 cable subscribers in Manhattan. In 2007, MNN committed to expand its community media services and identified the East 104th Street Firehouse as the ideal site for this purpose. The MNN El Barrio Firehouse Community Media Center opened its doors in 2012. The Firehouse is a space for education and learning, creativity and inspiration, collaboration and action. The Youth Channel operates as a department within the MNN El Barrio Firehouse. YC broadcasts youth-made media and media addressing youth-related issues.
Responsibilities• Produce 28 minute-long journalistic video bi-weekly
• Attend MNN El Barrio Firehouse’s certification classes and any additional training necessary
• Develop topics and themes for weekly series
• Keep up to date with current events affecting low-income communities in New York City
• Provide video coverage for community events
• Edit video footage
Requirements• Demonstrated commitment to community media (print or video) and social justice
• Experience working on an original production and/or media production class or program
• Experience editing with Final Cut Pro a plus, but not required
• Experience with animation a plus, but not required
• Ability to speak a language other than English a plus, but not required