Psychology (mft) InternshipGlendale Community College
Short 90+ Day Online Internship, Non-Profit, Writing/Research - Domestic Violence SheltersThe American Public Safety Training Institute
Sport Psychology CoachWrestling Mindset
Program DirectorYolo Community Care Continuum
Film company looking for interns - All majors - Must be enrolled in collegePES
Psychotherapy Office InternDr. Sam Von Reiche and Associates
Psychology Students/Writers Needed for Advice ColumnAsking Jude
Positive Psychology Research InternshipMabbly
ALZ Companion InternBookmark This
Alzheimer's San Diego
Various homes throughout San Diego County
San Diego, CA
Posted: June 03 2016
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionThe mission at Alzheimer's San Diego is to provide San Diego families with hands-on support, information and resources, while advancing critical local research for a cure.
ALZ Companion Interns provide in-home support to caregivers of individuals with Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia. Volunteers will provide companionship, socialization and supervision for individuals with dementia, allowing their caregiver to enjoy a break, go to appointments or engage in other activities that contribute to reducing their stress level. No personal or physical care is involved.
Interns must be able to volunteer up to four (4) hours per week during the quarter or semester. Additional hours are available if more is required.
Responsibilities• Follow policies and procedures set forth by Alzheimer’s San Diego
• Maintain professionalism and reliability, recognizing volunteers represent Alzheimer’s San Diego to the community
• Provide companionship to the client, including conversing, reading, taking walks and watching movies
• Work with the caregiver and client to identify appropriate activities that will be enjoyable
• Stay alert to changes in the condition of the client
• Ensure safety at all times
• Pay attention to and follow specific instructions as provided by the primary caregiver, unless inappropriate
• Have the ability to handle an emergency situation and know when to contact the proper authorities, such as 911 or Alzheimer’s San Diego staff
• Submit weekly visit logs in order to document activities or changes in the physical or mental condition of the client or primary caregiver
• Regularly communicate with Alzheimer’s San Diego staff
RequirementsMust have excellent people skills, such as being caring and patient, and the ability to respond to an emergency situation without panic. Experience working with persons with dementia a plus. Intern enrollment includes:
• TB test (intern's expense)
• Background check (Alzheimer’s San Diego expense)
• Complete paperwork
• Complete training program (5-10 hours, depending on prior experience)
• Experiential, if applicable