Program DevelopmentBookmark This
The Masakhane Center
PO BOX 1494
DescriptionThe Masakhane Center is seeking passionate, highly motivated young people to join us as Program Development Interns from January 2014 to August 2014. During this eight month time period, interns will work with the Executive Director to plan, implement, and evaluate the All About Us sex education programs. The All About Us programs (which includes our current Woman-to-Woman program) will expand to include a men’s only program, LGBTQIA program, and teen parents program. We strongly encourage anyone who identifies as a man, member of the LGBTQIA community, and/or teen parent to apply.
Interns receive extensive training on a variety of sexuality topics and program development skills. This is an unpaid internship, but we work with you to receive college credit. Interns are given real world, hands-on experience in the non-profit community and sex education field and the responsibility to directly manage substantive tasks.
OUR SCHEDULE AND HOURS
This is an 8-month internship starting January 7, 2014 and concluding on August 22, 2014 (these dates are non-negotiable). All interns are expected to work at least 20 hours per week and be available all day Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The application deadline is Thursday, December 19, 2013 (late applications will not be accepted). You may apply by sending the following to Stephanie Franklin (firstname.lastname@example.org): 1) a completed application, 2) resume, and 3) a one page letter describing which program (men, LGBTQIA, or teen parents) you are most interested in working on and why. Those selected for an interview are contacted within 24 hours. We strongly encourage anyone who identifies as a man, member of the LGBTQIA community, and/or teen parent to apply.
ResponsibilitiesSKILLS YOU WILL DEVELOP
• Marketing – create and implement a marketing strategy
• Grant Writing – write grant proposals to help sustain the programs
• Research – create and disseminate a community needs assessment
• Presentation – create a comprehensive report detailing the results of the program. Present this report to the Board of Directors.
• Facilitation and Public Speaking – facilitate at least one workshop series with youth
• Collaboration – work with local youth on program development
• Evaluation – develop an evaluation system for the created program
Requirements• Interest in sex education.
• Familiarity with social media sites (Tumblr, YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter), but we will also train.
• Must be 26 years old or younger.
• Ability to advocate for: pro-choice, pro-LGBTQIA, and sex positive ideals.
• Demonstrated ability to work with individuals and groups of varying backgrounds.
• Ability to travel throughout Newark. Living in or around Newark is a plus but not a requirement.
• Excellent organizational, time management, writing, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Responsible, flexible, creative, reliable and energetic.
• Strong attention to detail.
• We prefer interns receiving college credit, but everyone is encouraged to apply.