Sex EducatorBookmark This
The Masakhane Center
PO BOX 1494
DescriptionThe Masakhane Center is seeking passionate, motivated young people to join our education team! Sex Educators work in the Newark, NJ community providing much needed sex positive education to the community. Sex Educators receive extensive training on a variety of sexuality topics and workshop management techniques.
While this part-time internship position is unpaid, all educators are given real world, hands-on experience in the non-profit world and sex education field, and the responsibility to manage substantive projects.
Applications for spring internships are due by Thursday, December 19th and summer internships Tuesday, May 13th (late applications will not be accepted). Send your resume and completed application to Stephanie Franklin at email@example.com with Sex Educator Internship as the subject line. Those selected for an interview are contacted within 24 hours. We strongly encourage anyone who identifies as a man, member of the LGBTQIA community, and/or teen parent to apply.
• Facilitating sexuality workshops at middle schools, high schools, and community-based organizations.
• Working with local schools and organizations to create tailor-made sex education programs for their institutions.
• Assisting in street outreach and health fairs.
• Assisting in the occasional planning and execution of special events.
• Creating and executing a significant project that utilizes their skill set and interests and are in line with Masakhane’s needs.
• Assisting in curriculum development.
• Assisting in social media planning and daily posting.
All interns are required to work a minimum of 20 hours per week being available all day on Tuesdays and Thursdays and occasionally (once a month) on weekends.
ALL INTERNS MUST WORK THE FOLLOWING DATES:
• FALL INTERNSHIP: October 1, 2013 to December 20, 2013
• SPRING INTERNSHIP: January 7, 2014 to May 16, 2014
• SUMMER INTERNSHIP: May 27, 2014 to August 22, 2014
The following are qualifications all Sex Educators must have before being considered for any of the three positions.
• Passion for sex education!
• Must be 26 years old or younger.
• Ability to advocate for: reproductive justice, pro-LGBTQIA, and sex positive ideals.
• Demonstrated ability to work with individuals and groups of varying backgrounds.
• Ability to travel throughout Newark. Living in or around Newark is a plus but not a requirement.
• Excellent organizational, time management, writing, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Responsible, creative, reliable and energetic.
• Strong attention to detail.
*We prefer our interns to use this as part of a credit bearing course, but those not seeking credit as also encouraged to apply.