Development InternPioneer Institute for Public Policy Research
Communications and Social Media InternshipPioneer Institute for Public Policy Research
Research & Outreach InternPioneer Institute for Public Policy Research
Social Media & Communications Intern for Radio Show & BlogAskCherado.com
Public Policy and Organizing Intern- Fall 2014Planned Parenthood of South Florida and the Treasure Coast
Public PolicyBookmark This
Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce
350 S. Bixel Street
Los Angeles, CA
DescriptionThe Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce represents 1,650 businesses employing more than
700,000 employees throughout Southern California. Founded in 1888, the Chamber is the region’s
oldest and most respected business advocacy organization. The Public Policy Department develops
and implements bipartisan advocacy strategies to promote economic growth and improve the quality
of life in Southern California.
ResponsibilitiesAll interns in the Public Policy Department are exposed to a wide-range of people and issues that will
help prepare him/her for a career in government, public affairs, politics and/or law. Specifically, an
intern will get hands-on experience and gain knowledge of how advocacy and public policy are
conducted via one of the region’s oldest and largest non-profit, membership-based advocacy
organizations. Primary duties include:
• Research and analyze important legislation and policy issues at all levels of government.
• Assist in developing advocacy programs and strategies on major policy initiatives.
• Meet and interact with business and civic leaders, elected officials and community
• Attend meetings at L.A. City Hall, County Board of Supervisors and other agencies/elected
• Assist staff with Chamber committee meetings, policy briefing, lobbying trips and special
• Work with staff on other special projects, as needed.
RequirementsQualifying interns must demonstrate strong research and writing skills, an ability to self-start and work
independently on projects, solid team collaboration skills, excellent attention to detail and enthusiasm.
Strong computer skills: proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and ability to learn website and
date base maintenance. Public policy interns work directly under the Chamber’s Public Policy
Managers in coordination with the Vice President of Public Policy and the President/CEO.