Fall InternshipWashington Premier Group
Government Affairs - Fall 2017National Sleep Foundation
Community Planning & Research InternsAction for Boston Community Development, Inc.
SUMMER SOCIAL MEDIA INTERN-Washington Premier GroupWashington Premier Group
Intern (Legislative Affairs & Community Relations)Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District
Government Relations InternAmerican Library Association
Legislative InternBose Public Affairs
Public Policy & Advocacy Intern (Paid)Hispanic Unity of Florida
Communications InternBookmark This
The Fortune Society
29-76 Northern Blvd
New York, NY
Posted: December 04 2015
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionBrief description of the organization – The Fortune Society’s (Fortune) mission is to support successful reentry from prison and promote alternatives to incarcerations, thus strengthening the fabric of our communities. We do this by: BELIEVING in the power of individuals to change; BUILDING LIVES through service programs shaped by the needs and experiences of our clients; CHANGING MINDS through education and advocacy that work to rectify unjust and brutal criminal justice policies.
Overview of the internship –
Responsible for supporting the Director of Design and Digital Media, the Communications Intern will have the opportunity to learn how to conceptualize data-driven marketing and communications strategies, write and edit for digital platforms (social media, web, email), execute communications and fundraising campaigns, communicate core messaging, and leverage supporters to advance Fortune’s mission, advocacy agenda, communications, and fundraising goals
ResponsibilitiesResponsibilities of the intern –
• Support Communications with fundraising and advocacy campaign planning and execution.
• Assist in developing goals and strategies for organization-wide communications plan.
• Write and edit stories for digital and print platforms highlighting the work of Fortune.
• Track press and digital coverage of criminal justice related issues.
• Monitor and assist in updating social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn on a consistent basis.
• Generate social media and website content in collaboration with key staff, volunteers, clients, and board members.
• Develop marketing, fundraising, and communications materials.
• Interview and transcribe staff, volunteers, clients, and board members to collect stories and experiences.
• Gather and write content for weekly digital news update and bi-annual print newsletter.
• Attend Fortune related events and activities with the goal of sharing and interacting via social media (live tweeting).
• Co-lead in creating a moves management system within organization’s supporter database.
Requirements• Strong passion and desire to promote the mission and work of the Fortune Society through social media, communications, fundraising and advocacy.
• Strong research, writing, verbal and written communications skills.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
• Experience with a variety social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
• Strong organizational and problem solving skills.
• Strong interest in professional growth and communications, marketing, and resource development field.
• Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, and manage time effectively in a fast-paced, high-energy environment.
• Ability to be a strong team player and willingness to work as part of a diverse team with shared responsibility and accountability.
• Experience with graphic design, contact and website management, and social media management software such as Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, MailChimp, Raiser’s Edge, and Hootsuite preferred but not necessary.