Legislative InternMassachusetts State Senate
State Health Policy InternAcademyHealth
Policy AssistantThe Dalton Daley Group
Government Affairs - Spring and/or Summer 2017National Sleep Foundation
Policy & Membership InternshipRestaurant Association Metropolitan Washington
Policy & Advocacy SpecialistNational Prevention Science Coalition to Improve Lives (NPSC)
Policy InternGlasshouse Policy
INTERN FOR THE ARIZONA DEMOCRATIC PARTY (HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS APPLICATION)Arizona Democratic Party
The McGrath Farm Animal Public Policy Internship—CampaignsBookmark This
The Humane Society of the United States
700 Professional Drive
Posted: September 29 2016
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionThe Humane Society of the United States is the nation’s largest and most effective animal protection organization.
Our mission: Celebrating Animals, Confronting Cruelty.
The McGrath Family Foundation is a strong supporter of advancing public policies to protect farm animals, among other important animal welfare campaigns. To honor their commitment, The HSUS is proud to offer The McGrath Public Policy Internship, a paid internship, to applicants with a strong passion for protecting farm animals.
The intern will gain experience being part of the Farm Animal Protection Campaign, and develop in-depth knowledge through the study of farm animal-related issues, such as battery cages, tail docking, and veal and gestation crates. The intern will learn about effective approaches to further progress for farm animals through public policy and legislation. The intern will also have the opportunity to set project and learning goals and track the projects’ successes, as well as attend monthly Campaigns department meetings, educational presentations, and other Farm Animal Protection Campaign meetings as scheduled.
The internship time commitment is 35-39 hours per week for approximately 12 weeks; a reduced schedule would be considered. This internship pays minimum wage.
International interns are solely responsible for obtaining any required visas.
Interns must pass a criminal background check and sign a waiver and release of liability.
To apply visit:
Note: You'll be asked to submit a cover letter, writing sample, résumé, two references that are either from a professional, volunteer or educational experience (not personal) and one letter of recommendation with t
Responsibilities- Prepare documents, such as fact sheets, for legislative committees and stakeholders
- Perform research for legislation and public policy priorities; gather, analyze, and organize findings
- Track and report on pending farm animal welfare legislation using the state legislature websites to monitor the progress of bills
- Make phone calls to HSUS members in support of legislation and new public policies
- Read relevant articles and scientific white papers to gain knowledge of effective advocacy and the issues affecting farm animals
- Assist in drafting letters to the editor and opinion-editorial pieces
- Provide weekly progress reports to supervisor on assigned projects
- Conduct research, provide outreach, and build support for state legislation